StoryOfStuff.com Your Thoughts ?

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
My personal take on the video:

I think it needs to be somewhat scary for some people to even consider making a change.

Most of us here are already on the path of doing things differently so to us it may seem somewhat like preaching to the choir.

Yes there is definately bias there but then there is bias everywhere no matter what the topic. I have not checked any of the stats either. I am sure as with all special interest things they are probably not exactly right.

I do think this would probably be a really good video to show at schools. A lot of people young and old just don't think about any of this. They watch the news, and hear the stories about our unsustainable lifestyles but just roll their eyes.
For those people I believe the video links it all together and and makes it easier for them to see the overall picture better.

I sent this link to my son.
His wife definately needs to watch and take notes.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
time to tell "all" that we need to change for real.
scare them into it and we resist.
educate them into it and we might change. we might see the benefit.

problem is people don't care about the "far" future. People live now. Not a whole bunch of the population care if 200 years from now there is a planet worth living on.

so it is a catch 22.

videos that scare don't work on me. videos that are truly a great documentary about how life works, what we have done to the planet, how we live, etc. etc. work on me.

I think "more tactful" approaches work with kids also. like, to save a polar bear for the future, we must do this, and that way he lives...like us.....but to say, do this and he dies, never to be seen again, well...????

just my take...just rambling. but most people in general won't respond to scare tactics. If you show me why, and present in a great way, then I understand.

but when told I am the cause and I am the problem and I am doing wrong...first reaction is "tough" to you.....but show me the real facts, then I might get on the bandwagon.

just rambling again.....interesting

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My first reaction........it isnt telling me anything I dont already know WE NEED TO CHANGE OUR GOVERNMENT. That was halfway thru the show. My second reaction is.........I am glad I am not like that, at least I am not contributing. Third was......there is no way you are going to get people to change, it is a me me ME society.
Fourth was........okay you are going on and on get to the point.
Last but not least.........What can I do?
then I forwarded it to three of my coworkers, mother and daughter. Maybe it will make a small difference. OH YEA, and I printed off the what I can do list to read later.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just saw this! Everybody Shhhh!! Don't spoil it for me. LOL

I'm just going to not read any comments until I can get home and watch this. Then I will be back to reply.

Cassandra

Farmer Kitty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Presentation is so bad that I forced myself to watch it-made it to 2 mins. It has the preaching air about it and I can't stand that.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I tried watching it about 6 months ago. I had the same problems with the starting and stopping of the video and it was driving me nuts, so I stopped watching it. I would have continued watching it, if there were no technical difficulties, but it is the sort of story that is a mix between preaching to the choir and staring at a bloody accident. :p

I'd be interested in the list of things that we can do, but I'm sure many of them I am already doing or trying to do. Heck, I give myself grief when I go out and buy something that I can actually USE, that comes in a CARDBOARD box, and that should have a LONG LIFE expectancy. :p

Real change only comes when it is the best option for moving forward. I think we are getting to that point. I hope consumers wake up to find that other things in life give them more pleasure than buying STUFF. I know that I have found that to be true in my own life.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
OOOOOH, I will take a pic of the list and post it on here tomorrow night for you guys......I havent read it yet.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Tried to watch it, but the internet connection is too slow, but what I did see, the kids also saw, and they both started saying that they saw it in school--told me not to bother waiting for it to load.

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I watched it all the way through. Surprisingly. It was twenty minutes long.

I thought it was on the preachy side, using tactics to make the consumer feel guilty. I also thought there was no reason to believe any of her statistics. There may be a certain group of people who would be encouraged to do some further research.

I didn't think it was that bad, but I don't think it offered much in the way of alternatives.

Change the government.

Indeed. Why don't we go do that right now.

It played along the familiar theme of reduce, reuse, recycle. But in the "You're a very naughty person if you don't" kind of way.

Cassandra

Latest posts