Strange abdominal pain....can anyone help?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Yesterday I felt a little achey in lower front, right side...sort of where I assume my Fallopian tube is. I assumed it was a premenstrual ache and ignored it.

Last night I awoke at 2 am with pain in the same area. It kept me awake for quite a while as I could not get comfortable.

Now this morning I still have the achey pain. I looked up an anatomy site and my pain does seem to line up with my FTube. I am 43, could this just be my tube exploding into dust from old age? :gig

Any ideas on what could be going on with me?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I get that when I ovulate and sometimes it lasts for 24 hours. It gets pretty uncomfortable some months but Ibuprofen helps.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Quite possibly a (harmless and basically normal!) ovarian cyst, what they call a "functional cyst". This is where either the developing follicle gettin' ready to ovulate gets large and painful before actually releasing the egg; or where the corpus luteum cyst (what the follicle is called after it releases the egg but sticks around to produce progesterone and all them stuffs, during the 2 wks between ovulation and period, or longer if you get pregnant) gets large and painful before disintegrating.

Sometimes one or the other can really stinkin' HURT, and in the case of a luteal cyst can go on for an unreasonable length of time (it delays your period). (I had what must've been one about 25 years ago that was HORRIBLE and debilitating, and lasted almost two weeks, in retrospect I can't think why I didn't go see anyone about it but then it did go away on its own)

My attitude towards these things, which I get occasionally, is to just suck it up and tough it out, although if it hurts too much (and they can REALLY REALLY hurt) or goes on what seems to you "unreasonably long" then it is certainly worth seeing a doctor to check up on it and rule out other possibilities.

For me, a hot water bottle (or cooperative cat) helps a LOT, as do OTC antiinflammatories (for me, naproxyn sodium works better than any other for this application, I know other people here are oging to recommend herbs and all that but IMO if you are in pain it is OK to use a pain reliever :))

Good luck, hope you're feeling better soon,

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have felt it before but never strong enough to disrupt my sleep!

As I am moving around this morning it seems to be lightening up a bit, either that or I am just distracted. I hope you are right Java......I hate odd internal pains, very unsettling!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the good explanation Pat :thumbsup I had all that in my head and it wouldn't come out :p But, yeah - I don't bother with herbs for this kind of thing - it's pretty normal. If it gets worse with each cycle, then you might want to get it checked out.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Thanks Pat!

How is it that I always know I can come here for solid advice?

I posted under natural remedies because I didn't know where else to put it! Pain meds are on the way!

Now, one more question, I am pretty much due for my period. Wouldn't this happen earlier in my cycle?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you've had this before.....at this point I would hit the Doctor and ask for an ultrasound or some test. Why not err on knowing then just feeling the pain and not knowing?

At some point if you had it before, I would not suck it up....I would want to know.

but only you can decide if it "feels like a Dr. visit"

but hope you feel better soon cause anything that disrupts sleep is a bad thing (especially for me LOL)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Well if it continues, I will go in tom the Doc.

I have had a little odd ache every few months but nothing that lasted any length of time or caught my attention for more that a passing moment. So this is something that is new to me.

My mom always said she got a little achey feeling when she ovulated I guess that is what I get a few times a year.

I looked up the symptoms for ovarian cysts and it does sound like what I have. Ugh, I do hate Drs though, so I guess I will just see how I feel later today and then decide if I need to go in.

Thanks for all the great info guys :)

kcsunshine

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bad pain - go away.

I had a pain like that when I was in my 40's. It literally bent me double at work and they talked me into going to the Dr. He asked if I could be pregnant. I said no way, I'm 43. He said that's when it happens. Dear lord, I would have committed suicide. DD and hubby got all excited for nothing. It was nothing. But, if it concerns you, then go. Better be safe than sorry - BTW, could you be pregnant?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Dace said:
Now, one more question, I am pretty much due for my period. Wouldn't this happen earlier in my cycle?
No, that is exactly when luteal cysts happen... when the corpus luteum *should* be givin' up and going away, but instead is hanging in there enlarged and persistant for a while extra.

Pat