strange

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yesterday...was an incredibly rainy day...
i felt litterly exhasted iil and not myself...
ithis morning i went out..to check how..the new plants faired there first major rain storm...
and there was some strange clear jell..in the pots..???
when i went to town. ..aparently i wasn't the only one stangly tired yesterday....
weird...any idea.what it could be...i am in a small rural town..no industry around

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did you use potting soil in the pots? Some bagged soils have the little crystals that absorb water in them. If they get a ton of water they will get huge.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I was tired yesterday as well. Still am. But, I have been quite busy lately and not getting enough sleep, so I'm not overly worried.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hinotori said:
Did you use potting soil in the pots? Some bagged soils have the little crystals that absorb water in them. If they get a ton of water they will get huge.
Ditto!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
maybe that's what it was...cause..i wasn't seeing it the main garden
CW and Hinotori thanks so much for solving the mystery...alleviates.. concerns
but..i am gonna..work on my own mix for next year..i just had so much too plant...
deb..will wish you a good peacefull nights sleep...i'm much more myself..today...

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need a good nights sleep myself it must be the time of year ,so much to do.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My best guess is also an additive in the soil to hold in the water. With all the conspiracy theories I have, I might add store bought soil to my list. I think I can make my own anyway, if I put my foot down.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I had one summer where all I wanted to do was sleep. Couldn't figure it out, since that's not like me. Turned out it was from my allergies. I don't recall the specific one, but once the weather changed, I was fine.

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think the weather affects us more than we realize. It seems that the barometric pressure fluctuations make me feel bad. Of course, the day before a low moves in, my joints ache. High presssure gives me a headache. I am at my most energetic on overcast days. (I'm just too sensitive for this world!) :/

Also----and this really dates me----Have you ever had your bio rythms charted? It's a graph showing your peaks and valleys in 3 areas of your life: Physical, emotional and mental. It starts from the day you are born, and each of these areas runs on its own time span, approx. 29 days, 31 days, 34 days or so. Can't remember exactly. Anyway, when all three peak at the same time, you have a super great day. That's the day you got promoted, won the spelling bee, or saved your neighbor's life. On the days when all three bottom out---well---you had better just stay in bed!

I just checked mine, and it says a week from today all three areas will be very low. I will try to make a note of that!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I live at altitude (3500') and in an area of the Rocky Mountain Foothills that regularly gets Chinooks, warm winds that race down the east side of the Rockies every few weeks throughout the colder months. The pressure changes brought on by these wild temperature swings affect many people in my area, including one of my daughters, with severe headaches. Other people find it difficult to sleep when a Chinook is coming in. So I totally believe that weather patterns (and also moon phases) can affect sleep patterns and health. And ditto everyone above about the jel in your flower pots--I'm very careful when I purchase soil for starting plants because you aren't supposed to grow food plants in the soil that contains that jel.