Strawberry Fields (Poisoned) Forever

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
http://www.rodale.com/methyl-iodide-0
"Everyone agrees, without exception, that methyl iodide is a very toxic compound. It's very reactive. That means it interacts with living tissue in very toxic ways, causing cell damage and damage to cell structures, DNA, or chromosomes," explains Ted Schettler, MD, MPH, science director at Science and Environmental Health Network. "The upshot is it can cause a lot of health effects, including cancer and damage to tissues that are developing. In animal studies, it killed the fetuses of developing animals exposed by inhalation; fetuses were killed at relatively low doses. Nobody doubts it's a nasty chemical."

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Methyl iodide is actually used by scientists to produce cancer cells in labs. What are they thinking??!!?? Customers have no idea what they are buying with their strawberries, and so sad for the farm workers who would be exposed to it constantly.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, you had to go and remind me. Not that I actually forgot ...

Read that when it first came out. I love strawberries ... So this year I got several dozen little whatcha-ma-callums (the little dried bits that are supposed to grow plants?). None did. Second year I've gotten no strawberries. I was on strawberry strike for a long time, but my frozen berries and my jam is running out so I have bought (to date) about eight pounds here lately.

I guess I'm gonna have to give them up again.

I really wish my strawberries would have grown!!! :hit

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Do they avoid spraying the "organics" with it, do you think??

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We went strawberry picking last weekend. I called the U-Pick patch we usually go to and asked what chemicals they use on their berries. The don't use methyl iodide, but do use two other chemicals. In the end we decided to drive 50 miles to an organic farm to pick.

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I picked organic this year, at a friends one acre field. The berries were perfect- I did not see any bug damage at all. The leaves were uneaten. I don't notice anything bothering my plants in the home garden either...I just don't get it. Every article you read- says eat more fruits and veggies. Then, the uneducated consumer thinks they are doing the right thing- and they are poisoning their families. It is a sad, sad situation.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
Do they avoid spraying the "organics" with it, do you think??
It is NOT sprayed, way to dangerous. It is injected below the surface of the soil so your organics should be safe. Also it is very reactive which means that it does not remain as methyl iodine. funny how they fail to mention that it is much better for the air quality than the methyl bromide that it replaces. once you have bought into the organic myth that all chemicals are bad you can forget that some chemicals are worse than others.....`gd

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
calendula said:
We just grow our own strawberries so that we don't have to worry about it. :)
haha same here, i dont know what the soil is like when we first bought them , but they are in a healthy soil and on to the 2nd yr of berries with tons of new runners so things will be good and safe to eat.