Strep throat help.

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
This morning DD#1 asked me to look at her throat. "It hurts."
EEWWWW
Her tonsils are all swollen and white goo is in every crevis. Pretty nasty. I am inclined to think strep, from past experience.

HOWEVER.............
We are in the middle of a blizzard. No way am I going out.

So far I have given her tea I made with sage, elderberries and honey. Vitamin C with echinacea. Told her to stay in bed and now I am sanitizing the house with a thyme cleaner. We haven't has anyone sick here in a long time.

Any other hints, tips, advice is always welcome.

aggieterpkatie

Swiss Army Wife
Reaction score
Is she old enough to gargle? Very warm salt water always helps with the symptoms, even if it doesn't do anything to get rid of the strep. Other than just monitoring her temp, that's all I can really think of....just stuff to soothe the sore throat. :hugs

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
aggieterpkatie said:
Is she old enough to gargle? Very warm salt water always helps with the symptoms, even if it doesn't do anything to get rid of the strep. Other than just monitoring her temp, that's all I can really think of....just stuff to soothe the sore throat. :hugs
Was going to suggest same. Warm salt water is very soothing to mucous membranes and promotes healing and reduces infection.

Other than that...lots of fluids? Sanitizing...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Sucking on peppermint candies helps to...............

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
She has been gargling too. Forgot to mention that.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I picked up a nasty throat virus that wasn't strep but lingered for months. My doctor had me gargling with hydrogen peroxide. If you could call the doctor to find out how much to dilute it and whether it's safe for her to try, that might help kill the germs causing her infection.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you can find any throat lozengers or even candy made w/horehound, it's great for throats.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had strep my whole teenage life it seems. Warm salt water gargled help. Eating warm soup. I'd just eat things that would soothe. Oh boy, strep is a terrible ill. I do not wish that on anyone. Every swallow is pain. I hope your daughter feels better soon. I got my tonsils out and have not had any throat issues since.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Apple Cider Vinegar in warm water with lemon juice and raw honey if you have it. Also, 2 teaspoons of honey just before bedtime. Make that the last thing in. It coats the throat.