Stress...how do you deal with it?

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
There was a time when I didn't have a job, and so I was at home all day and the other half worked. I often resented the fact that he would come home so tired and I was excited and wanted to interact and talk and do things. I kept up the house, and was very happy with it.
Now we both have full time jobs, and it is a challenge for me to even get half of what I used to get done. I look forward to the day when I'll be able to focus on our home/farm for our own good.

The way that I look at it, (assuming things work out as we are hoping), I won't HAVE to work to bring in income. His job should support everything that we need income wise, so my time at home will be spent maintaining what we have, and producing results that will save us money and keep us healthy. If I do work, it will likely be part time as supplemental income/learning experience for our farm. But being at home won't mean that I am not working. Being at home will mean that maintaining everything at home is my job. If I stay clear about that, it will help me to stress less about it and to focus on working hard for the support of the bigger picture, even though I don't get paid by hourly wage or have a specific amount of vacation time. I know that it is going to be very hard for me some days to stay motivated, but the flexibility will be a good thing too.

That leads me to the point that it might be good to step back and evaluate what you do each day. What are the things that get done daily? Weekly? Monthly? Where does your time go? In doing this a few things might be discovered - maybe there are things that are being done that don't NEED to be done as frequently. Maybe there are things that should be done more often. Maybe it is a case of biting off more than one can chew (I do that ALL the time! Very hard to say 'no' sometimes!). Viewing it objectively as the current status of the "job" of staying home might help both you (and your partner) find a better way to create more balance for you. Everyone needs a balance of "work" and "play" in order to stay sane and healthy. Without your health, the "job" suffers, and thus the family suffers. If you and your partner have the clarity together, then it may be that everyone in the family is more willing to pitch in to help get the "job" done for the good of everyone's stress levels. For me, that kind of clarity and objective view can really help me get refocused and put my effort where it belongs, rather than spinning my wheels away about something else, or the 'not knowing' of where my time, energy (and possibly money) is going.

Best of luck to you! Remember, the only constant in the universe is change!

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
I certainly don't mean to tell anyone that our way is the only way, merely that good communication and some sort of division of labour have been very important in our life together :)
What I posted was certinly no comment on what you'd said. I just meant that I didn't want to get into giving advice about relationships/marriage... I just thought I'd share how it works in our home, here, and that for us it helps to keep stresses minimized and fairly shared. :)

Avalon1984

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Find a good husband and remember that on your worst, most stressed out day, somebody out there has it worse. Always. And I am in the same boat as you are, except for the kids. 6 horses, husband gone during the week, full time work, a farm...it gets overwhelming. I like listening to Jason Aldeans Amarillo Sky and think of that farmer who just keeps on going 'nother round, and 'nother round. :)

gourdhead

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
staying busy doing something i value helps me. i have found that prayer and bible reading especially in the psalms and proverbs is especially helpful. gardening is good and a short run on a motoercycle or bike is quick acting also. sharing thoughts with an understanding friend can be very rewarding. whatever works. jon

the_whingnut

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
i fix things, i like to tinker when i'm on edge with stuff. i keep little projects on the back burner for rough days, i also have an old '65 VW beetle i like to work on. Until the restoration for it started last year i would come home pissed about work or something & spend a small time tuning or cleaning or just messig around the car. if it was a really losy day i would fire it up and cruise. Now i just tinker on my little stuff until i get the car back. when everything looks like its going down the crapper it feels good to complete something even if it was cleaning old parts or just to make "something" work.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I watch my chickens. If I get real upset I may go in the coop and cry. One or more always seem to come over to check me out and tell me all the "chicken gossip". Nothing like watching chickens doing "very important chicken things". :p

luvinlife offthegrid

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I had a similar feeling a while ago. I delegated tasks. I am a manager at work, so I have no problem doing this. I recognize when I can't do it all. The stuff that needs to be done, I asked for help. I let hubby pick what he wants. I would have liked him to pick more, but alas! ;). He is self employed and doesn't have much free time as it is. With what was left over, I looked at what needs to be done, and let go of the rest. I don't have the cleanest house in the world, but I don't belong on "Hoarders" either. Other than the day-to-day stuff, I give the house a thorough cleaning twice a month instead of once a week (except for the bathroom-thats once a week). My 6 yr old does what he can. But that usually involves me chasing him around for follow-through and isn't a real time-saver yet. I have patience.

I also make a darn good black margarita. ;)

hqueen13

<Insert Snazzy Title Here
Reaction score
Cindlady2 said:
I watch my chickens. If I get real upset I may go in the coop and cry. One or more always seem to come over to check me out and tell me all the "chicken gossip". Nothing like watching chickens doing "very important chicken things". :p
That sounds delightful!!!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
As a single, working mom of 3 boys and also in a stressful nursing job, I found that stress relief was a very important thing needed during and at the end of the day...God and finding ways to relieve the stress was the only thing that kept me alive all those years..seriously. Chronic poverty didn't help matters any, so that was a big issue until I learned to not let it stress me anymore~God has that under control also.

The ultimate stress reliever of all was turning over all the big things to God~and this takes practice, practice, practice and I still struggle with it but I'm much better than I used to be. I'm one person and only human, so giving things I can't carry over to God sure does lighten my load and gives me peace of mind~instant stress relief.

The little things like housework, shopping for food, etc? They don't matter as much as laughing with your kids, watching something beautiful happen outside and taking time to stop and get off the revolving ball for a little while during a stress filled day of work.

I take my lunch time very seriously now whereas before I used to let work eat into my eating time. For the last few years I've isolated myself from the office for lunch, read a book or talked to God while I ate my lunch...or simply watched how the sunlight sparkles off the river and listened to the birds. That oasis of calm in the middle of my day really helped me get back to the stress of the job with my mental work boots back on and ready for more.

To get to this point I had to really evaluate my life and determine what was stressing me, if it was worthy of all that worry and strain, and how I could prioritize what I spent my mind, body and soul on....what things are worthy of stealing that much from my life? Not much, in the end.

When you look at it that way you can work on the things that you can change, give the things that you cannot change over to God and then just live for the moments that don't need changing at all, for they are truly the ones that are worth your attention~a child's laugh, a good hug, great food, sunshine on a mountain stream, blue-bottomed clouds in a deep blue sky, rainy days when you are sad, a fresh breeze on a hot day and a great song on the radio that makes you want to sing and smile.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Going to the garden does a really good job of relieving stress for me. I have about 4 stressful jobs, not just one. Most of the jobs I do causes stress of one sort or another. Working in a busy emergency room is always very stressful. Folks walk in all day and night and most of them are NOT EMERGENCIES. That can be REALLY stressful because of the mountains of paperwork required for each and every visit. I am the mayor of my town, and the county coroner. Guess what causes stress in that setting? My farm is the thing I have to relieve my stress. That is why I don't spend much time at my house in town...I have to get away as much as I can.

Sometimes I go to the wood shop or the machine shop and "make something".
In the fall, I get out my logging tools and cut and split wood. Whatever you do though, if you do something that takes your mind from what stresses you to something that gives your mind relief it will help. Running helps. (Have good running shoes so you don't make your knees hurt though...don't ask me how I know this...)

Not sure if you are married but once in a while, spending a little "quality time" ;) with your SO/DH/whatever can work wonders for relieving stress...or at least so I have been told...
Trim sends
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
//BT//