Study Links Soda Consumption to Pancreatic Cancer

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Study links sugary soda to pancreas cancer
Drinking just two or more sweetened soft drinks a week increases risk

updated 5:39 a.m. PT, Mon., Feb. 8, 2010
WASHINGTON - People who drink two or more sweetened soft drinks a week have a much higher risk of pancreatic cancer, an unusual but deadly cancer, researchers reported on Monday.

People who drank mostly fruit juice instead of sodas did not have the same risk, the study of 60,000 people in Singapore found.

Sugar may be to blame but people who drink sweetened sodas regularly often have other poor health habits, said Mark Pereira of the University of Minnesota, who led the study.

"The high levels of sugar in soft drinks may be increasing the level of insulin in the body, which we think contributes to pancreatic cancer cell growth," Pereira said in a statement.
Insulin, which helps the body metabolize sugar, is made in the pancreas.

Writing in the journal Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers & Prevention, Pereira and colleagues said they followed 60,524 men and women in the Singapore Chinese Health Study for 14 years.

Over that time, 140 of the volunteers developed pancreatic cancer. Those who drank two or more soft drinks a week had an 87 percent higher risk of being among those who got pancreatic cancer.

Pereira said he believed the findings would apply elsewhere.

"Singapore is a wealthy country with excellent healthcare. Favorite pastimes are eating and shopping, so the findings should apply to other western countries," he said.

But Susan Mayne of the Yale Cancer Center at Yale University in Connecticut was cautious.

"Although this study found a risk, the finding was based on a relatively small number of cases and it remains unclear whether it is a causal association or not," said Mayne, who serves on the board of the journal, which is published by the American Association for Cancer Research.

"Soft drink consumption in Singapore was associated with several other adverse health behaviors such as smoking and red meat intake, which we can't accurately control for."

Other studies have linked pancreatic cancer to red meat, especially burned or charred meat.

Pancreatic cancer is one of the deadliest forms of cancer, with 230,000 cases globally. In the United States, 37,680 people are diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in a year and 34,290 die of it.

The American Cancer Society says the five-year survival rate for pancreatic cancer patients is about 5 percent.

Some researchers believe high sugar intake may fuel some forms of cancer, although the evidence has been contradictory. Tumor cells use more glucose than other cells.

One 12-ounce (355 ml) can of non-diet soda contains about 130 calories, almost all of them from sugar.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I was waiting for this one. A high glycemic index diet is very hard on the pancreas. Soda is made with HFCS. About the worst on your body, in many ways...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Read this yesterday on the low carb forum.

Sodas with hfcs are the worst of all possible worlds. The sugar spikes your blood sugar and insulin levels. The fructose portion slams the liver. Not only does this drive fat storage, it cranks out triglycerides, and damages the liver much like alcoholism, but without at least giving you a buzz.

Now the whole role of sugar in cancer cell growth HAS BEEN KNOWN SINCE THE 1930's! Other than from my ranting, when have you hears "sugars fuel cancer cell growth" in the mainstream. You don't despite the volumes of data available.

Maybe my tinfoil hat is extra shiny today, but seriously, how come everyone doesn't know about the Warburg effect? Funny (not ha ha but ironic) that so many companies are trying to exploit the Warburg effect to develop drugs, so the scientific community knows about it. Yet none of them say "ya know, if you have cancer or cancer runs in your family, maybe you should lay off the sugar?".

Another funny thing....many VETS know about this and recommend low carbohydrate diets for cancer prone dogs!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So what about sweet tea(with a goodly amount of sugar)? I quit soda about a year ago, and switched to sweet tea. I lost about 40 lbs. Just wondering about the sugar in it.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tommywalnuts, the peeps on here have gotten me using liquid Stevia in my iced tea. Even the Man of the house, who sometimes squicks at my health foods, can't tell the difference :D

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Darn, I like Coke. :( Just a few cans a week...

I've started using Stevia too and all family members have given it a :thumbsup

Couldn't they start putting Stevia in Coke? :fl

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
claud said:

Coke addict here... :hide I hear they have been formulating Coke and other soft drinks in Japan with Stevia for years.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
So what about sweet tea(with a goodly amount of sugar)? I quit soda about a year ago, and switched to sweet tea. I lost about 40 lbs. Just wondering about the sugar in it.
Not great, but obviously better than anything with HFCS in it! :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Sodas with hfcs are the worst of all possible worlds. The sugar spikes your blood sugar and insulin levels. The fructose portion slams the liver. Not only does this drive fat storage, it cranks out triglycerides, and damages the liver much like alcoholism, but without at least giving you a buzz.
Juice one lemon or lime (or half if extra big or juicy). Add stevia to taste. Add a good pour of vodka. Add a straw. Enjoy!:D

claud

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
claud said:

Coke addict here... :hide I hear they have been formulating Coke and other soft drinks in Japan with Stevia for years.
Hmmm. Wonder if we could get is shipped? :D