Stuffed Beef Heart

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Beef hearts. All I can think of when hearing that is of a long cold winter in Mass. with DD deadbeat dad. We were so poor I applied for the government food boxes. I made $1 a week too much to qualify. So I would go to the neighbors and relatives asking if there was anything in the box they wouldn't eat. Almost all we got was canned beef hearts. We ate only because there was nothing else, but man it was tough getting it down. Got my income tax refund and ditched the dead beat and have never looked for beef heart again.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
It is all in the way you prepare them I guess...that goes for anything I suppose (except liver!! :sick BLECH!!!!). "Canned beef hearts" just does not sound good. :sick

I personally like the taste and texture of well-cooked beef hearts. Though I have not had them in quite a while. Beef tongue too. This recipe sounds good to me. :drool

2 dream you can get deep fried gizzards at a fast-food soul-food chain in TX called "William's Chicken" cheap too. Fried gizzards and a side of corn fritters and I'm in heaven.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Sorry, meant to be more funny than rude.... :p
Now I'm sorry. I was being funny too. I keep forgetting you all can't see me laughing.:hugs

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Fried gizzards and tater logs are a staple around here. Most chicken places have them and a number of quick stop stores that server hot food.

I ask DH about the beef heart. Expecting a :sick from him. Totally surprised me with his "use to eat them all the time in Alaska". He actually likes them. So, now I will be on a quest for fresh beef heart to try.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Referring to the book in the OP - well, not, actually, but to another by one of the authors - beef heart is the toughest of the hearts that we might find for human consumption (well, maybe not deer; she didn't address that). I know that with kidneys, beef are the hardest to make palatable, while veal and lamb are tender enough to grill.
Oddly enough, after 3 years of Irish boarding school (you know - Ireland - the place where one of the world's smallest books comes from - "Irish Gourmet Cooking"? :lol:**) there are many things I cannot eat (rice pudding? :sick). But I still like, and have always liked liver and onions. Go figure.

**After that little jab I have to say that the last time I was in Ireland (about 6 years ago) I was very impressed with the standard of restaurant fare. Can't say (anymore ... luckily) what it is like in the schools :idunno.

Ibicella

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! :bow

I just copied that recipe right into my recipe folder, since I just picked up that WHOLE beef from the processor and got most of it in the freezer. I haven't told The Wife that there was a tongue and heart in those packages. :D

When I was picking all this beef up at the processor's, the lady asked me if I liked beef liver. Well HECK YA I DO!
She GAVE me a dozen EXTRA packages, FREE!!!! :weee I guess they have trouble even GIVING it away!! :hu
Oh my goodness, you SCORED there man! I'm seriously jealous!

I don't blame people not liking liver though. It's so delicate and easy to mess up when cooking! There is nothing more vile than improperly cooked liver. :sick

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just can't get past 'innards.

It's a total mental thing, I know, but .... :sick

hubby will eat 'innards, but I don't cook 'em.

I tried liver once when I was a kid. We were at a restruant and Mom told me "here, just try this" I take a bite and about gag. She laughs and says "now you know if you like liver or not"

put me down for not.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
okiegirl1 said:
I just can't get past 'innards.

It's a total mental thing, I know, but .... :sick

hubby will eat 'innards, but I don't cook 'em.

I tried liver once when I was a kid. We were at a restruant and Mom told me "here, just try this" I take a bite and about gag. She laughs and says "now you know if you like liver or not"

put me down for not.
Definitely mental. Sounds like your mom was setting you up to fail :). I think we need a better name for these very healthy and tasty bits. Innards doesn't do it; nor does offal. And variety meats is just offensive to those of us with a dislike for euphemisms. Any suggestions?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
So ... I started with the recipe in mind ... then it morphed into something totally different and pretty darned good.

Beef Heart Risotto

1 average beef heart, 4-5 lbs
2 clove garlic
2 tsp pepper
5 cups beef stock (homemade of course)
sage, celery, rosemary, pepper flakes
leeks (I have some dehydrated and used a good fistful)
mushrooms
1 1/2 cups rice
1 cup lentils
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped onion

Trim heart of fat and remove inside connective membranes. (mine was pre-trimmed at the butcher shop) Plop into a crockpot with the garlic, herbs and about 2 cups of water. Cook on low overnight. Chill.

In a bowl combine the stock (some was from a roast I recently cooked), rice, lentils and remaining ingredients. Microwave for 20 min on high or cook on low heat till rice is done.

Sliver chilled Beef Heart into thin strips and then cut those into small chunks. Stir into hot risotto. Salt and pepper to taste.

And this one is Gluten Free! ;)