Stuffing with Cattail Fluff?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I was looking at an OLD MEN magazine yesterday and came across an article about using cattail fluff as a replacement for down in vests, jackets and other down-filled items.

The article said to harvest the cattails at the end of summer or early fall (which is now) and that it takes about a dozen cattail heads to fill a down vest. The article also said cattail was use during WWII to fill jackets and even life vests, since it is also a buoyant material.

This sounds REALLY interesting to me. I would love to make a couple of vests this winter. Might even make a good Christmas presents!

Has anyone out there tried this? If so give me some suggestions or hints.

Help is appreciated. Thanks.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I have not heard of this either. But like the idea much better than using thistle down. Not because I think cattails might be better but would sure be easier to gather.
I just happen to have thistles and not cattails. LOL Wouldn't ya know it.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
According to the magazine, you cut the whole dry solid cattail top off at the stem. They then gather the stems in a bag. They warn not to touch the cattail top - only handle it by the stem until you are ready to harvest the fluff.

Then inside of a bag ... I am thinking a "stuff sack" made for camping use, you simply rub the top of the cattail to release the fluff. They claim no other prep is necessary ... you can stuff with it right away seed and all.

I am thinking of making some "down vests" out of the stuff. Any one know of a good vest pattern? I am sure I will need down "tubes" to stuff the filling into and will probably try to use something like ripstop nylon material.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I used cattail fluff to make a cat bed for the barn cats when I lived in Norther Maine, where the winters get down to 40 below. It was toasty warm!

Not washable, though, so bear that in mind.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Is down really that washable either?

I was considering making a cattail filled tube center with extra nylon on either side - just to keep the stuffing in better. Maybe I should make it so that the outer part can come off to wash.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My mother-in-law (in her eighties) remembers collecting milkweed and cattails for fluff for wartime supplies during WWII. She is a serious knitter/spinner/fiber-arts person and has also messed around with various crafty type projects from them.

However, apparently one of the major drawbacks of milkweed and cattail fluff for stuffing vests, quilts, etc (almost anything other than lifejackets, and according to m-i-l even *them*) is that they are super-FLAMMABLE.

Those planning household projects from it take note.

(Also of course those caught int he wilderness looking for good tinder :p)

I vaguely recall her saying that during the war they used a borax treatement or some such thing to reduce its flammability, but do not quote me on that and I don't know any more about it.

Do be careful though.

Pat

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I remember reading that article. I never made anything out of them.
But we did use them to decorate SO's mounted birds. After a few years the cattails disintegrated. Cattails do really fluff out. We are still occasionally picking up cattail fluff. :rolleyes:

buglit

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I agree with cattails being flammable. When I was a kid, we use to lite them up to keep misquitos away. I still remember the wonderful smell