Stung by a really big black fire ant...

The Vail Benton's

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was stung a couple days ago by a single fire ant - the big black kind, not the little red kind. It climbed up my leg inside my pants and stung me several times on my thigh before I was able to get inside the house and remove the offending insect from inside my clothing. Within an hour the site swelled to the size of a quarter - no big deal. By yesterday morning it had swelled to the size of a saucer. I wasn't worried. But by mid-morning today the swelling had covered most of my thigh and become quite painful & hard. I've applied ammonia, lemon juice, hydrocortisone cream, and ice from the time of the sting through today. I don't know if any of it is helping or not. Does this sound like a normal reaction to a fire ant sting or should I be more worried? Is there something else I should be doing or using or applying? I sure do welcome your suggestions!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Oh my.... we don't have fire ants here, and by the description of your reaction, I am really glad we don't.

With a reaction that big, I would also second the benedryl. and keep up with the ice.