stupid BEES update -- lip balm, and Q about the remaining bees?

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Of course, the cat run is going to go right below where the STUPID BEES currently are... sigh
:lol: I'm sorry, I just had to laugh at that last bit. Life is just frustratingly ridiculous like that sometimes isn't it?

I wish you luck finding a beekeeper who is willing to try to take the bees. When we had a hive going in our barn, the beekeeper we contacted said that if he agreed to take them, he would not be responsible for dismantled building parts . . . . In other words, it may be that unless you find a beekeeper who also knows a thing or two about construction that you are unlikely to get any takers, especially considering that access is fairly precarious . . . . But I do hope you find someone willing to take the bees to a new home!

I hope you all feel better soon and everything goes much more smoothly!

What spoiled kitties you have! :D I am interested in hearing how well they like their run.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I'm still working on finding someone to do something about the bees. There is someone down in Whitby, about 30-45 min away, whose website says they will do removals for $100 within a 40 min radius, so I am waiting to see if they return my call. I also have a possibly-not-obsolete? phone number for the head of the region (county) beekeepers club, which is my plan B, and if all else fails I suppose I can just drive down the laneways and knock on the doors of everyone who has a 'honey for sale' sign out at the road :p

I bought a roll of wire today for the cat run, but I am not going to start building it til the bees are gone. So I'm a big wussie about bees, oh well.

(e.t.a. - I did go into the attic last night. No visible bees. Mind you I did not go right out to that wall, because of the aforementioned wussie thing - but I *think* the bees are confined to the hollow overhang of the roof, behind the fascia and soffit, rather than actually being in the attic or walls. I *hope*.)

In other antics, butthead Mo cat ate half a wholewheat bagel and part of a bag of marshmallows today, so I made marshmallow-rice-krispie squares with the remainder of the (drooled on, gnawed) marshmallows, only in my distraction I only used a small bowl. The marshmallows were heaped up in it even *before* I microwaved it. By the time the microwave dinged, there was this huge marshmallow volcano over the entire inside of the microwave. It was amazing. And of course when you pick things up to take them out and try to clean them, they are a) very hot and b) everything you touch sticks to everything else you touch and also whatever's in between. Also Mo was helping and the kids kept trying to help too. Oh, THAT was an adventure, lemme tell you.

So, cross your fingers for me that I can find someone to get rid of these bees, because clearly I cannot rely on my own native luck at this moment in time :p

Pat

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
:fl

So, I guess Mo was holding out for junk food? LOL

What a week for you, Pat! I suspect things can only get better! I certainly hope so. :/

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
P&C,

Sorry to hear you are having a bad day. You're right, we're not used to hearing you vent, being "Miss Encyclopedia" and all. :lol:

Go ahead, blow your top and let off some steam. We'll listen and you might feel better.

And, I couldn't help but snicker at you trying to walk a cat, and the marshmallow adventure, and you tip-toeing through the attic. :D

Hang in there, tomorrow is a new adventure. :hugs

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Ahhhhhhhhh :)

Yes, it's true, luck *does* average out eventually :) Through a chain of phone referrals, I found someone just 10 minutes away who was happy to come out this morning and collect the bees. And all it cost me was $20 and a dozen and a half eggs (which I have too many of right now anyhow <vbg>). Plus listening to a lecture on how we should have better soffit ventilation and use lighter-colored shingles next time we re-roof <g>

It was really neat - the kids and I watched through the computer room window, and although obviously we couldnt see where he was taking the bees *from*, we got to see him vacuuming up the bees and taking out the comb and all that. I am told they were very gentle bees, he did not use a veil and very little use of the smoker and says he did not get stung at all. He also seemed to be very GOOD with the bees, which probably made a large difference (older gentleman been keeping bees all his life). So, he got a buncha bees and I get the end of my roof back as soon as the last loose bees (he estimates only a couple hundred at most) die of old age or wander off or whatever bees do as time passes.

The best part was that he let us keep a little of the honeycomb (even demonstrated eating one of the honey-covered larvae ). So it is sitting in a dish in the kitchen now.

However... the kids will not eat the comb honey, for some incomprehensible reason (possibly *because* he demonstrated eating a larva :p). And while I am tempted to say 'Ok, fine, then it's all MINE' (DH won't eat comb honey b/c of a very bushy beard and also city-boy squeamishness)... on the whole I'd rather try to get the liquid honey out of the comb so the kids can enjoy the only home-grown honey we're ever likely to have.

So, what would be the best way of separating as much honey from the comb as possible? Just pick out the larvae and then smash the comb into a strainer with the back of a spoon, or what? I should have asked the bee guy but didn't think of it til he'd left. This is only about a cereal bowl's worth of comb. The honey is pretty tasty :)

All suggestions appreciated,

Pat, having made the bee guy promise to stop by next time he's driving by and sell us several kg of his honey :p

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Yes, crush and strain the honey through a mesh something or other into a jar or bowl is the best way at this point. Let it be in a warm area so the honey flows well. Then by all means put the crushed comb into your mouth and enjoy that fresh from the comb taste, there's nothing like it!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to say....I dissagree with reinbeau.. you better NOT try to eat that, OR feed it to your poor unsuspecting children and hubby. As a matter of fact, just put it all in a jar, seal it up tight, and send it to me...I will "dispose of it properly" :D

:lol: Just kidding of course....how LUCKY of you to get great honey!! You can sit it in a strainer....with a bowl or jar under it....place plastic wrap over it, and set it in a warm sunny window. It will drain well as it warms up. Save the comb, it makes the best suckee! I LOVE sucking honeycombs...ok, waite, that doesnt sound right.... :gig You get what Iam saying...right!?? :D Congrats on getting rid of the bees...and on getting the honey!!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Glad you got rid of your bees and a little reward to go along with it. ;)

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
justusnak said:
I have to say....I dissagree with reinbeau.. you better NOT try to eat that, OR feed it to your poor unsuspecting children and hubby. As a matter of fact, just put it all in a jar, seal it up tight, and send it to me...I will "dispose of it properly" :D
:lol: