succession-planting

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm at least thinking about succession planting - but it's still a bit too hot for most fall veggies. I'll give it another 6 - 8 weeks....

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'm going in with bush beans, beets, and cabbage. I will straw down the Kale and the Swish Chard and have that next spring. Zone 7. But I figure I have 60 days. We pulled up allot due to too much rain in PA today, going in heavy with the beets and beans. We did good with cucumbers on a trestle this year for pickling and as many as you could eat.. We are getting better and better at vertical gardening and using landscape pavers to hold down moisture to make watering more efficient..

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I need to clear out some space for fall veggies. It will probably be broccoli for now.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got it done this weekend prepared the bed by top dressing with compost and planted a row of kale , swiss chard and collards.
I even spent time foraging in the woods with DW at a state park .

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ya'll are so far ahead of me.... I can't even make myself get out there and pick okra...
I had to push myself Im feeling kind of rushed want to finish my project at camp ,need to start cutting and splitting fire wood and prep garden and plant next years garlic by end of Oct.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I had to push myself Im feeling kind of rushed want to finish my project at camp ,need to start cutting and splitting fire wood and prep garden and plant next years garlic by end of Oct.

I have a pile of branches needing sawing into logs myself. And I'm trying very hard to rid most of the backyard from weeds and get the rest of the lawn sowed before it gets too cold. Along with ridding the existing new lawn of dock and other weeds. I don't think I'm going to have a bigger fall garden than the summer one, which wasn't very big to start with lol

GettysburgGarden

Power Conserver
Reaction score
20180812_101711_resized.jpg

Yeah we did beans, swishchard, and Beets. I'll post later this fall, we got so much rain this year it was ridiculous. We emptied all the old seeds we had and I'll have to thin here shortly. Will start hunting for sale/clearance garden seeds at the usual places. But we pulled all the garden except what was going strong some tomatos and peppers and went another cycle of beans. I think when the days get shorter the beans start producing smaller quicker beans that are tastier versus mid-summer beans.

cabinguy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Planted my mustard greens two weeks ago in the bed where my garlic was. The mustard greens sprouted a week ago and are doing well ill need to thin them soon. This weekend im preparing the bed where i harvested my Yukon golds and I'm planting kale, Swiss chard and collards im hoping its not to late for the fall crops
We ate our 1st mess of mustard greens from the garden. DW made a real southern meal; pork chops ,mustard greens, mashed potatoes w stewed okra/tomatoes/onion what a treat