Sufficient Self 15 year in report, no pics, just pioneering.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
I started at 20% Self Sufficient when I bought this Homestead in 2006 and by 2009, bent on and headed to 80%-87%.

In 2012, I closed my SS Journal here to focus on myself, my PTSD was running wild, and I needed to address many other issues....

The good news is, I am glad I did that, and it allowed me to focus on being SS as well as food growing/harvesting/ prepping.

I took a overgrown/junked out property,and made it my place....

It has been 15 years now, life has been hard in so many ways, easy in even more ways, and time to talk to my peoples....

Working so much in my 30's to clear the property, a vision I remember well, 15 years later glad I worked all that I did back then when I could. Because I did all of that work, planted hedgerows of fruit, Asparagus, and mushroom logs....

In my 40's, life was hard, those details can be confirmed on-line through google, but nothing of those times pass my fingers/keyboard/lips, too much PTSD to deal with...

Taking the year off this year to catch up on property maintenance, glad I prepared for this and needed the time off.....

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back. It sounds like you have had a lot of hard work and done well with it. Sometimes you have to clear the extras and concentrate on what’s important. Sorry that you have PTSD issues to deal with, hope your homestead is your sanctuary.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I started at 20% Self Sufficient when I bought this Homestead in 2006 and by 2009, bent on and headed to 80%-87%.

In 2012, I closed my SS Journal here to focus on myself, my PTSD was running wild, and I needed to address many other issues....

The good news is, I am glad I did that, and it allowed me to focus on being SS as well as food growing/harvesting/ prepping.

I took a overgrown/junked out property,and made it my place....

It has been 15 years now, life has been hard in so many ways, easy in even more ways, and time to talk to my peoples....

Working so much in my 30's to clear the property, a vision I remember well, 15 years later glad I worked all that I did back then when I could. Because I did all of that work, planted hedgerows of fruit, Asparagus, and mushroom logs....

In my 40's, life was hard, those details can be confirmed on-line through google, but nothing of those times pass my fingers/keyboard/lips, too much PTSD to deal with...

Taking the year off this year to catch up on property maintenance, glad I prepared for this and needed the time off.....

i wasn't here when you first joined so i haven no recall or history of you in my noodle, but it is always a good idea to make sure you take care of yourself when you need it. glad you are able to poke your head above water and fill us in. :)

i'm not sure by what you write if you are on the property all the time now or just there once in a while when you are able to get away?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Welcome back @modern_pioneer ! I took some time off from the forum this year and returned this fall. I'm very happy to see you pop up again and I love your update! My quick update to spare you from my journal thread is that I finally got out of the city and onto a farm in 2015. Haven't done much with it because I have been sick/disabled, but I'm doing okay now and am fighting to become more physically able over winter before spring and summer heat make everything difficult again.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Welcome back! It seems that several of us have needed time off but have come back even more focused. I'm glad you feel well enough to come back also!

Latest posts