Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I have a dove sitting on eggs in a apple tree. 1 Tom and 3 hens BR, 6 white JG, 6 BO (chicks) 6 Pekin ducks 2 males, I think they are called drakes??? And one baby Pekin duckling hatched by turkey hens that I'm calling lone duck. Forgot there's a couple cubby of quail roaming around also.

That's all for fowl

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Last edited:

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
15 chickens in the large fowl pen. Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. Mostly mixed color with the wheaten ameraucana.

38 adult silkies and silkie mixes between the five silkie pens. 9 teenage silkies. 6 chicks (will be 7 tomorrow from how the last egg in that pen looked.) Will be many more chicks from three of the other pens in the next few days. Most of the silkies are partridge color with a few whites and blue cream and one paint rooster.

I don't have any other birds.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I started over with chicks. They are 1 to 4 months old.

3 silkies (2 black, one white splash), 2 lavender orpingtons, and a frizzle blue ameraucana. I hope to add more orpingtons, but I'm holding out for lavender.

I'm applying what I've learned from a zoo animal training book. I want tame/trained birds! So far, they approach the cage door when I open it. I like it!

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
15 chickens in the large fowl pen. Ameraucana and Easter Eggers. Mostly mixed color with the wheaten ameraucana.

38 adult silkies and silkie mixes between the five silkie pens. 9 teenage silkies. 6 chicks (will be 7 tomorrow from how the last egg in that pen looked.) Will be many more chicks from three of the other pens in the next few days. Most of the silkies are partridge color with a few whites and blue cream and one paint rooster.

I don't have any other birds.
Wow, that's a lot of Silks!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wow, that's a lot of Silks!

I breed partridge silkies to APA standard and have gone to a few shows. It's the hardest silkie color to get right.

Ive been working on a project over the last few years as well to make a silkie that lays blue eggs. Well light green because of the tint silkies have anyway. That way the earlobes match the egg sort of. Too bad silkies take 9 months to start laying so it takes a long time to get anywhere. 4th gen of this project will be hatching soon.

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I breed partridge silkies to APA standard and have gone to a few shows. It's the hardest silkie color to get right.

Ive been working on a project over the last few years as well to make a silkie that lays blue eggs. Well light green because of the tint silkies have anyway. That way the earlobes match the egg sort of. Too bad silkies take 9 months to start laying so it takes a long time to get anywhere. 4th gen of this project will be hatching soon.
Partridge is a beautiful color on Silkies! I didn't know Partridge Silkies were recognized by the APA? I do imagine it's a very difficult color to get right, especially on a silkie. How do you (and the judges) even judge the pattern on those silkied feathers?