Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Partridge has been an accepted color for a long time. So is grey, white, buff, black, blue, and splash. I believe silkies are the only breed in which splash is actually accepted. Which never made sense to me.

They don't actually check for the patterning much, just that color is proper. I've seen a few partridge hens where you can see the penciling some. They are superb samples. Moorhead is not allowed in partridge for shows. So many people have bred them to have it that it's a pain when your trying to add new genes. I'd removed it from my flock, but the new birds I raised last year are all moorhead.

Roosters are very had to get the black proper on. Then there is the orange variant issue. That one is totally incorrect and can pop up occasionally even in some of the best flocks.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Partridge has been an accepted color for a long time. So is grey, white, buff, black, blue, and splash. I believe silkies are the only breed in which splash is actually accepted. Which never made sense to me.

They don't actually check for the patterning much, just that color is proper. I've seen a few partridge hens where you can see the penciling some. They are superb samples. Moorhead is not allowed in partridge for shows. So many people have bred them to have it that it's a pain when your trying to add new genes. I'd removed it from my flock, but the new birds I raised last year are all moorhead.

Roosters are very had to get the black proper on. Then there is the orange variant issue. That one is totally incorrect and can pop up occasionally even in some of the best flocks.
I dodnt know what Moorhead was. You prompted a delightful rabbit hole of chicken colors! Thanks! Cant wait to see what mine will be. Theyre straight run. IDK what I have yet 😁

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The dark brown or black head is moorhead.

This is a moorhead
20220717_200955.jpg

This is proper partridge head
Screenshot_20220702-144213_Chrome.jpg