Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
A broody chicken will peck you up one side and down the other before you even knew what happened. A broody turkey hen will puff up and peck you one time and draw blood. You have something special, if you can move her when she's on the nest 👍

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

I also have Satan's own hen. She's an easter egger. She very good at taking chunks out of me. I have scars.

I much prefer the silkies. The most any of my worst ones do is protest verbally or a single light peck. I've tried to breed the most from the friendliest hens. All of them except for the eggs I order last year are in some way descended from a super friendly hen who was a good broody. Her sons were all very people friendly and it passed down.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I also have Satan's own hen. She's an easter egger. She very good at taking chunks out of me. I have scars.

I much prefer the silkies. The most any of my worst ones do is protest verbally or a single light peck. I've tried to breed the most from the friendliest hens. All of them except for the eggs I order last year are in some way descended from a super friendly hen who was a good broody. Her sons were all very people friendly and it passed down.
That's just smart 🤓

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has raised greater prairie chickens for release into the wild? It's very rare to see them wild around here. But they are around here, because I've seen them twice. They are strange looking "chickens".

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
4/6 babies are here! @Hinotori thanks for chiming in and all the guidance. I moved her, eggs and 2 chicks to a lower nest encompassed in an enclosed area in the main coop and she settled right in. They are hardware clothed off so the other hens can see them but have space and food. She hasn't come off the nest yet, I am thinking maybe late today or tomorrow. She has 1 baby almost out and 1 pipped of the remaining 2. I did give her some mash this morning so she would get some food/fluid and she was sharing with the 2 born yesterday, so cute! Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• 20220731_055646.jpg
    20220731_055646.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 20220730_114535.jpg
    20220730_114535.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20220730_150538.jpg
    20220730_150538.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 77

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has raised greater prairie chickens for release into the wild? It's very rare to see them wild around here. But they are around here, because I've seen them twice. They are strange looking "chickens".

There's a member of one of the sister sites, BackYardChickens, who has all sorts of pheasants, quail, and grouse. @00Sean. I think he has prairie chooks. You should join BYC and ask him!

Latest posts