Sufficient Self members with Poultry!

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icelandics color variety is awesome. They are hardy birds, too.
Yes, I'm so excited! I've wanted them for years.
I have very cold winter's and plenty of free-ranging space, so she should be great!
There were three other Icie pullets for sale that I wanted so badly!
I want to get a batch of Icelandic chicks next spring.

MeanCheek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I also might have got this:hide
61240.jpeg

Isn't she cute?

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
mama hen and babies were integrated completely with the rest of the hens yesterday-minus the aggressive one. Aggressive one is now in enclosure where hen and chicks were and will be put in the coop enclosure tonight-until 1. she can get her act together (unlikely) 2. chicks are older and can manage her or 3. we rehome or butcher her.

BUT back to the chicks. They spent 4 hours, in 2 hour increments, with the older hens all last week. Yesterday, I just let them go with mama. They did great. They were eating and drinking with the older hens, running around far away from mama but listening to all her calls. No one pecked at them or pushed them out of the way for anything. Mama got a couple on their head/legs and there was one that is asserting dominance (occasional head peck) over mama but leaving chicks alone. :) I was so happy. Then she got them all snuggled in last night in the coop, well before everyone else, and then they were the first ones out the coop this morning-everyone else waited.

Thanks for listening to me while on this new type of journey-I definitely would have this mama hatch chicks again, though DH might have another opinion, lol

Latest posts