FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
13 years ago. Time flies

Screenshot_20230329_111440.jpg

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I love the fact that it's less work for me.

If I'd hadn't had my hands full when I took the first chick out to her to see if she was ready, I'd have gotten a hilarious video of a silkie dancing when she heard it. It stunned me for a second. All wiggling and shaking herself. Then she happily shoved the chick under her.

My silkies are great broodies because you can keep adding to the clutch for about a week. They just keep taking the chicks and adjust their care to accommodate younger chicks. This one got all the chicks at once but I had to remove 2 almost two days as soon as I noticed problems. Missed the spraddle leg and one had curled toes so it went back in the incubator to keep the hobbled chick company. Once it was steady enough to remove the hobbles, they both went out and mama happily greated them.

I was able to take the boot off the chick toes yesterday. I found boots don't cause issues when with mamas. Just have to watch for them working it off.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The other birds in that coop have some special needs at the moment. They helps keep chicks warm at night, though. Silkies all let chicks sleep under them. The white bird in there is an elderly rooster who parks himself right next to mama when she goes to bed. He's had chicks under him all but the first night.