Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
In the church I grew up in you had to be a very devout and serious Christian to play any role other than a pew warmer as well. I would be quite concerned it the church we attend now allowed an unmarried but living together couple to serve in the church in any way. That couple should not be able to participate in communion either. Our church is pretty lax on who takes communion, and this concerns me. i believe that the communion service should be seperate from the more public family service for this very reason.

Aly I don't know what stand I would take it I saw something really bothersome. I think I would go to the pastor about it though. I remember years ago there was a couple that was serving and the mans wife continuously berated the pastors wife in our converstaions. I didn't know what to do about it, and did not want to cause further trouble by taking that to the pastor because it was a direct personal offense being committed against him and his wife, so I left the church for a few years with out saying anything to anyone...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Morel, that's what I did with the church that had the unmarried couple serving - I left.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think thats wrong they would let them serve as well..........

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Morel, that's what I did with the church that had the unmarried couple serving - I left.
Well, to be honest, a church that would allow something that blatant and accept it, is not a church I would want to attend. I have no problems with pew sitters having issues in thier lives, they are there to learn the truth and the error of thier ways. But to serve in any way, or be partaking in communion is a no no. That is reserved for those who's lives are in order and are showing proof of the fruits of the spirit in thier lives.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
Well, to be honest, a church that would allow something that blatant and accept it, is not a church I would want to attend. I have no problems with pew sitters having issues in thier lives, they are there to learn the truth and the error of thier ways. But to serve in any way, or be partaking in communion is a no no. That is reserved for those who's lives are in order and are showing proof of the fruits of the spirit in thier lives.
:thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
MorelCabin said:
Quail_Antwerp said:
:thumbsup
Well said, that is my belief as well.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't believe that games of chance like lottery are good for anyone, but I can't think of a specific Bible verse that deals with it. Maybe a proverb. I do recall more spoken about in the Bible about gluttony, envy, gossip, lying, and the like that seem to go unleashed in too many of today's churches and cause even more damage to the witness of the church as a whole.

I do respect the church for its position on the lottery and for asking the deacon to step down. Unfortunately I think I know of too many churches, pastors, and members that would be happy to accept the tithe on those winnings and ignore how it came to be even if the group as a whole believes playing the lottery is wrong. :/

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I don't believe that games of chance like lottery are good for anyone, but I can't think of a specific Bible verse that deals with it. Maybe a proverb. I do recall more spoken about in the Bible about gluttony, envy, gossip, lying, and the like that seem to go unleashed in too many of today's churches and cause even more damage to the witness of the church as a whole.

I do respect the church for its position on the lottery and for asking the deacon to step down. Unfortunately I think I know of too many churches, pastors, and members that would be happy to accept the tithe on those winnings and ignore how it came to be even if the group as a whole believes playing the lottery is wrong. :/
I don't know of any specific passage that specifies gambling either, but I know the things gambling promotes, wanting something for nothing, or envy promotes the desire to get ahead quickly etc. etc. I think it creates a wide open door for other sin to enter in, rather than being a specifically named sin. It is certainly not in keeping with good stewardship of the monetary gifts provided by the Father either. Just my opinion.

I know churches who would have looked the other way as well. That's WHY I am where I am ;) I love my church, and that we collectively stand on the principles, without faltering, that God has ordained for good righteous living. :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
BeccaOH said:

I don't know of any specific passage that specifies gambling either, but I know the things gambling promotes, wanting something for nothing, or envy promotes the desire to get ahead quickly etc. etc. I think it creates a wide open door for other sin to enter in, rather than being a specifically named sin. It is certainly not in keeping with good stewardship of the monetary gifts provided by the Father either. Just my opinion.

I know churches who would have looked the other way as well. That's WHY I am where I am ;) I love my church, and that we collectively stand on the principles, without faltering, that God has ordained for good righteous living. :)
What church denomination are you WBF? I was raised Plymouth Brethen, which is a branch off the mennonite church

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
By church name/title... Southern Baptist. Realistically...I'm just a blood bought bible taught born again child of God. I don't really care much for labels. If it's peanut butter just say it's peanut butter for cryin out loud! :lol: