Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Hi folks!

I hope everyone has a had a great Christmas season. I know I had a blessed one for sure. I have been wondering about the state of our grounded, solid, Biblical churches today. I have a few questions regarding your home church. Would you take the time to answer?

1. What church is it? (Catholic, Evangelical, Mainline Protestant, etc.)

2. Are the clergy teaching the solid, blood bought gospel? (Not prosperity gospel, or political opinions)

3. Over the past three months have you had a drastic shift (+/- 50) in attendance for the better or for the worse? If so, why?

4. Do you believe your church is solid? Is it built on the teachings of the Bible?

5. What is your church doing that you think would be beneficial to other churches?

This is just for my interests. Just wanting to think and ponder...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
The only thing I disagree on with my church is their stance on homosexuality. Actually, it's probably just the pastor and a few parishoners that believe gay people are an abomination. That aggravates me to no end, and I have argued with them that that is NOT what the bible says. The person is not an abomination, the ACT of practicing homosexuality is the abomination. But...nobody listens to me :p So...to answer your other questions:
1. Evangelical
2. Mostly
3. I have no idea, I can't afford to go right now.
4. Mostly
5. Good question. It seems like our church does more internally than externally. They do for select church members, and Southern Baptist causes, but not much else that I can see. So, I'd like to see more input about that question from others myself.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
My church is an independent, Bible church. It does not have an denomination attached to it.

2. Are the clergy teaching the solid, blood bought gospel? (Not prosperity gospel, or political opinions)
If my church wasn't teaching solid Bible, I wouldn't be going!

3. Over the past three months have you had a drastic shift (+/- 50) in attendance for the better or for the worse? If so, why?
We've been getting a few new people, not sure of why.

4. Do you believe your church is solid? Is it built on the teachings of the Bible?
Yes, and the Bible is preached every week.

5. What is your church doing that you think would be beneficial to other churches?

That's hard to say. Right now, we're a small church and aren't doing as much as we'd like to. We just don't have the people.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Thanks Deb and WBF! I was studying the seven churches of Revelation the other day, and I was wondering about the state of others. Any others want to respond.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Evangelical, but not denominational in nature. It's the Church of God, but it doesn't answer to a conference or convention. So sorta independent.
Yes.
We have had ups and downs. Nothing that couldn't be contributed to bad weather. 135 one Sunday, then 77 the next, then 126, and then 96. But we have had questionable weather, and a bunch have been sick. We had over 250 on play night. Youth group has steadied at about 55.
Yes, it is. We operate a tad differently than others. Our Pastor or Asst. Pastor doesn't preach every Sunday. We have five preaching brothers, and they swap it through each week.
This Youth Group has been a big blessing I think. It has affected Church numbers a little bit, but I think that will increase in a few week. We do some things for the community. I wish we did more though.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Going to Night Watch Service tonight! My first communion (Lord's Supper and Foot Washing) service later too. Hope everyone has a great transition from 2013 to 2014!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Circumstances have been such that I haven't gotten to attend church for 2 yrs. I have been conducting home study of the Bible during that time and stick to it diligently and have learned more in the past 2 yrs than I have learned in the 45 previous years sitting in organized church assemblies.

At first I really yearned for the familiarity of a church setting and the routines therein but I've since learned a few things about that familiarity and comfort and how it's not so very productive to the gospel work of discipleship, so my views are changing about what exactly church is supposed to be like.

Been listening to some great pastors on YouTube, learning things I've never known and has never been preached by any preacher I've known and my walk with the Lord has been incredible, my prayer life has improved, my love of the Word has increased and this year has abounded with blessings of all kinds. Answers to prayer like I've never known!

I share these sermons with my mother and my boys, we discuss them and we pray for one another, work on discipling skills and knowledge and try to increase our efforts in that area. We sort of have a small assembly within the family now instead of a church and church building. It's been wonderful! I see some wonderful things happening in my extended family, who are not believers at all and even some who profess to be believers but have no evidence of it whatsoever in their lives...but things are achangin'. Thank the Lord!

Last edited:

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Prayer request for me please!

I am contemplating changing my collegiate plans to help me in my walk with the Lord. I am thinking about attending Bible College to pursue a Pastoral Ministry degree. I know it is my calling, but following this would take a large leap of faith. Pray for His guidance in my life.