Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Rebbetzin......he feels pretty comfortable as the head of the household, because I am a stay at home mom and he is the bread winner we easily fell into very traditional roles. My struggle is how to get him to spiritually lead us....like praying together. He will say a prayer at dinner time but we do not pray together otherwise. I guess I would just like to see him grow more in his faith....which only God can control. I guess all I can do is keep those thoughts to myself and pray for God to move him.

I like the idea of asking him about passages, that is a good start, thank you :)

As for the book, I thought it was a very reasonable approach too :)
SD think you would like it. I will copy and paste a few bits here and there and PM them to you.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My dh is a believer. He has just fallen away. Well, so have I really. But we are both trying to get back on track. I like the passages idea also. Have to try that one since it would benefit us both definately.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Dace said:
My struggle is how to get him to spiritually lead us....like praying together.
Dace, I just want to go on record by saying some stuff just may not happen the way you expect it to and that is still OK.

My hubby is a very strong believer, always has been as long as I have known him, but we have never prayed together except for at meal times.

That used to bug me. What was wrong in our marriage that he did not want to pray with me? I tried all of the obvious solutions including nagging, complaining and crying. :tongue Of course that was just stupid stuff. One day I just quietly asked him WHY. His answer just stunned me. He told me his relationship with God was so close and so intimate he just couldn't pray in front of anyone else. Point taken. Sometimes we need to try to see their point of view.

Time passes and I see him praying. He prays for me and other family members, he prays for strength and little daily needs and I pray too. We are a good Christian team. We just don't pray together. :)

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I am another one that probably would not be able to pray with someone else. I never have been able to, I don't know why...but in my heart I am in almost constant communication with the Lord, in the car, doing dishes...going to the bathroom even LOL! I love to talk to the Lord from my heart...and sometimes in a murmer to myself.
I think I have a problem with voicing things (problems or fears) out loud...because then the devil might know what I am thinking and use it against me somehow...he can't read my heart or my thoughts...but he can watch and listen to me.
I may be totally wrong in my thinking...but it is how I think, and I keep my prayers silent!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I can pray really good in public or privately. Anywhere too in the car, at the coop, or an FFA meeting. :lol: :D :D :D :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When called upon to pray, I do a tolerable job...but I too pray mostly and bestly when by myself. Like Morel, I am some days in almost constant conversation with God....either verbally, mentally or emotionally.

If I had a husband, I might open the doors of openly praying in front of each other by praying out loud for him at bedtime each night. Something like..."Dear Lord, thank you for _________ and all the things he does for us each day. Thank you for his strength and his guidance in all things. Please form a hedge of protection around him each day as he goes to work and please help him as he leads this family. Amen"

But...alas....I do not have a husband. :p But I'd pray for him and with him if I did, just like you ladies do.

You know? I am really proud to know you gals....not often I meet ladies that really admire and love their husbands and give them the respect they deserve. Kudos to you! :thumbsup

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I tried to get my hubby to take the spiritual head of the family, but he wouldn't do it. And, when problems arose, instead of seeking God, he found his comfort in a bottle. There have been times when I'm ready to leave him, but because of my physical problems, have not done so. At times, I even wonder if God has allowed me to have them to keep me w/him. But, after reading all your responses, I'm encouraged to keep praying for him. And Dace, I think I need to get that book.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
I think many of you have hit on a key point for me and my experiences. Don't pray for "changing that person", pray for guidance and strength to be the example that could influence the other person to change.

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Some awesome thoughts and stories. My husband is a little more of a baby Christian but trying to take leadership which has at times been hard to give up for me. I am very blessed that he is doing this though. It does make me laugh at times when I do something or say something and he looks at me with those "are you sure you ought to be doing that" look. It used to be so much the other way around.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I so appreciate the openess here :love

Maybe praying together is expecting too much....I guess that is my fantasy of a perfect marriage, sharing those intimate moments with God with the person who you love the most on this earth. I am relieved to hear that some of you strong Christian women, whom I respect so much, are not praying with your hubbies.

I too am in frequent communication with God.....at one point I wondered if that was irreverent, but then I accepted that this is just what comes to me. I say a nice formal prayer at bedtime, although I am trying to set aside some quiet time in the morning for an intentional prayer. But in the car, puttering around the yard, folding laundry.....God is always on my heart and I frequently chat with Him. It is funny because it is in those moments that I HEAR Him, I guess that is what convinced me that it was ok to chat with Him in this way :thumbsup

On of our pastors who is a good friend of ours was over last night, he filmed us both to finish up a video he is making. Our church's theme is ' changing lives one story at a time' so they are focusing on sharing some stories of member of the church.
Long story short, I watched some of the filming of my Hubby. K would ask him a question and he would answer it to the camera. I have to shamefully admit my Hubby is in better shape than I had feared. I guess we are both a little more private about our walk with God, his answers to some of the
questions impressed me and proved that there is growth there, God really is working in his life. Amen!

I highly recommend the book, The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian. It really is not about changing your spouse. It is about learning to see them as God sees them, in all their glory, overlooking their flaws with grace and love. It has already helped me to pray effectively and get better results
simply because this book is teaching me how to keep my heart in the right place.....sometimes God's answer is not to change them, but to help us to see the truth clearly.

DDeb.....God gave him to you for a reason :hugs do get the book if you can, it is really a wonderful view of marriage, and may just soften your heart in the way that it needs to help your Hubby.