Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
May I ask that we pray for Japan? And of course everyone else effected by their quake?

I lived through the Northridge earthquake and was only one county south when it hit. One of the most terrifying experiences of my life. I heard on the news this morning that this quake in Japan was 1,000 times worse. I cannot even imagine it, and then to have a tsunami like that hit a few minutes later, and now the fires...

I am just watching the news and praying, watching the news and praying.

My problems seem so small............

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was just looking up rituals traditionally performed in Japan. Apparently they perform a ritual called MATSURI. It is a purification ritual. Some matsuri are annual events (most based on agricultural events...planting, harvest, etc...) but some are also performed after natural disasters. If I find details I will post them.

Update: Ok, so matsuri means festival...
"Matsuri (festivals) are another way in which Shinto followers practice their beliefs. There are several types of Shinto matsuri in Japan: matsuri of supplication to the gods(for a successful harvest), there are some for thanksgiving., and others festivals to drive away pestilence and natural disasters.

There are somber matsuri and lively occasions featuring games and entertainment. Some matsuri are performed in a very traditional way and some have been considerably adapted to modern times

There are two major purposes of matsuri. The first is communion between gods and people. This comprises purificatory rites, offerings and communal banquets between gods and humans. The second aspect of matsuri is communion among people.

There are many Matsuri during the year, often they coincide with important seasonal changes and agricultural tasks."

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
tNot to make light of the events in Japan, I just wanted to post this regarding the previous conversation. Ithink it touches on quite a few points relevant to several things mentioned. (Dace, vs 17 ;))

1 Thessalonians 5
1 Now concerning how and when all this will happen, dear brothers and sisters,[a] we dont really need to write you. 2 For you know quite well that the day of the Lords return will come unexpectedly, like a thief in the night. 3 When people are saying, Everything is peaceful and secure, then disaster will fall on them as suddenly as a pregnant womans labor pains begin. And there will be no escape.

4 But you arent in the dark about these things, dear brothers and sisters, and you wont be surprised when the day of the Lord comes like a thief. 5 For you are all children of the light and of the day; we dont belong to darkness and night. 6 So be on your guard, not asleep like the others. Stay alert and be clearheaded. 7 Night is the time when people sleep and drinkers get drunk. 8 But let us who live in the light be clearheaded, protected by the armor of faith and love, and wearing as our helmet the confidence of our salvation.

9 For God chose to save us through our Lord Jesus Christ, not to pour out his anger on us. 10 Christ died for us so that, whether we are dead or alive when he returns, we can live with him forever. 11 So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing.

Pauls Final Advice
12 Dear brothers and sisters, honor those who are your leaders in the Lords work. They work hard among you and give you spiritual guidance. 13 Show them great respect and wholehearted love because of their work. And live peacefully with each other.
14 Brothers and sisters, we urge you to warn those who are lazy. Encourage those who are timid. Take tender care of those who are weak. Be patient with everyone.

15 See that no one pays back evil for evil, but always try to do good to each other and to all people.

16 Always be joyful. 17 Never stop praying. 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is Gods will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.

19 Do not stifle the Holy Spirit. 20 Do not scoff at prophecies, 21 but test everything that is said. Hold on to what is good. 22 Stay away from every kind of evil.

Pauls Final Greetings
23 Now may the God of peace make you holy in every way, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless until our Lord Jesus Christ comes again. 24 God will make this happen, for he who calls you is faithful.
25 Dear brothers and sisters, pray for us.

26 Greet all the brothers and sisters with Christian love.[c]

27 I command you in the name of the Lord to read this letter to all the brothers and sisters.

28 May the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you.

biblegateway.com NLT

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have to agree on praying for others -- I used to pray for someone else to change, and got convicted about that. When I started to pray for MYSELF in the situation, I saw where MY heart needed to be changed, and I started to pray for ME to change as needed, and for God's grace in situations, and for my actions and heart to be right, however God might see fit to deal with the other person. That led to more growth for me, removed resentment, and created peace in the situation. Whether the other person changed or not, it was certainly better for me. Not trying to paint that in a selfish light -- I found it was better for the other person as well, and sometimes removed a barrier to their change -- me with a wrong attitude.

There are just so many benefits of praying this way. :)

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
And also have to agree about praying with someone. For years I felt I could never do it, because prayer is so intimate to me. I found I CAN do it, somewhat, but my prayers are not as open as they would be if they were just me. And I can only halfway open up with someone very close to me.

I pray out loud every day with the kids at work. But it's like a hollow ritual. I don't always say the same thing, and I try to say what's on my heart, but I sometimes question if I'm teaching them a wrong thing, as I know my prayers are not my REAL prayers. I questioned that even more yesterday, when everyone gathered and someone else said the prayer. It was all the "right words" but it felt so hollow. I am not criticizing the other person, by any means, because I'd have done no better (not as well, even). But I wonder what the kids think -- if it sounds hollow to them too, and if they might not assume that prayer is only words, rather than realizing that they just aren't being granted access to the intimacy of it?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Shiloh, I think you are so right that with the wrong heart we can be a barrier to the change that we so desperately want to see in others!

And consider this.....who are we to insist/push/nag that someone change? How do we know that we are not in the wrong? Perhaps God is guiding them to do something that we do not like, but it is not about OUR will it is about GOD'S will. That can be a hard one to swallow, at least for me.

MTN....
11 So encourage each other and build each other up, just as you are already doing

I love that, it is so powerful and that is exactly what we are doing here. I feel so blessed to have this safe haven!

And 16 always be joyful 17 never stop praying 18 Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you who belong to Jesus Christ

I think that vs 18 has such importance and sort of speaks to my comments above about pushing someone to change. We have to always give in to things we don't like as Gods will. We can only change ourselves, and true change only comes when the Holy Spirit is moving us to change.

Thanks MTN that was great!

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Dace, wasn't that video taping just perfect in it's timing? I think the Lord wanted to show you something :) To tell you that your hubby is fine..."don't worry...I'm working with him" ;) Amazing the way God lets us know these things sometimes huh?

Been working all day, haven't heard much of what happened in Japan...just that they had a quake...will catch up on the news tonight when I have a little time...I have my grandaughter tonight...:weee :weee :weee :weee

Went over there last night 'to visit Lolaa at home...and told DD that I would be visiting her there instead of takeing her home anymore...but I would be visiting her. DD said "That's a better idea" and 5 minutes later decided she needed a sitter....:rolleyes:

jambunny

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have never understood why every event is considered a sign of end times. I have heard often that the end is coming we need to get ready. I have always felt that we just need to live as if everyday could be the last. Only God knows when he is coming and our response is to live the way He wants us to. And if it is the end, well hi Jesus!

Latest posts