Sufficient Self's Bible Study Group

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I think a compiled list of verses that relate to an SS lifestyle, would be EXCELLENT!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'll try one!

"...that you aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your hands...that you may walk properly toward those who are outside, and that you may lack for nothing." I Thess. 4:11-12

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Proverbs 6:6-8

6 Go to the ant, thou sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise:

7 Which having no guide, overseer, or ruler,

8 Provideth her meat in the summer, and gathereth her food in the harvest.

HeronsNestFarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Phil 2:1 "Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, 2 then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind. 3 Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, 4 not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others."

I think that a part of the SS movement is rooted in a desire to be united with God through honest work and connectedness to his blessings. There is also a desire to connect with the SS community to remain in fellowship corporately.

The other side of SS is that we see what we are aspiring to as NOT selfish. For me, I think living off hte land helps keep me humble and by being a good steward I honor my fellow man. There is a danger however, when we become radical in our beliefs that we can become haughty. This scripture reminds me that no matter what I do in the name of a better world/life it must ultimately come from a place of Holy fear and awe, lest it become an idol.

I want my actions to reflect the heart of God and the unity he loves.

I may be reaching here, but I love this scripture!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Good verses, everyone! Thats how I view my SS attempts too, just upholding virtues through this way of life. I also think it connects back to Genesis when God told Adam that he is to care for the animals and plants of the Earth. Thats why I feel so passionate for my animals. Im doing it for our well being, and also so his creation can live happily and healthily. The way he would want it.

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Of course, for us ladies, we can always use Proverbs 31:10-31.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DD- that was the first one that popped in my mind! I always thought of that when I was spinning the wool from the sheep I used to have or when I planted my figs and grapes! Lol

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I can't have a sheep-allergic to wool, but I've wondered about an alpaca. Their fleece (or would it be considered wool) is hypoallergenic! But, not where I am now, I just don't have the time nor the money. But I've always liked them, and have said at times I'd like one. I don't think anyone has taken me seriously, though. :lol:

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Paul identified Mt. Sinai as being in Arabia. Plus, that mount is in the Promised Land, so I doubt that it's Mt. Sinai.