SufficientSelf Is Growing! Reminder Concerning Forum Tone

Nifty

Super Self-Sufficient
Administrator
Reaction score
Hey Everybody!

We've seen some exciting growth on the site. I think this is probably due to the current financial situations around the world along with the advertising we've put up on BYC to encourage people to visit over here. Also, we're getting a lot of unique visitors that are finding some of your great posts using search engines. In fact, here are some of the fun terms that are bringing people to visit us:

food storage list
can you freeze biscuit dough
do it yourself geothermal
cooking without electricity
maple tapping supplies
how to be self sufficient

I know I'm really enjoying reading the great discussions here. We've got a LOT of really smart members with a ton of diverse experience.

Of course, with growth and diversity comes more probability of differences of opinion. We would like to maintain a relatively relaxed moderation style on this forum, but we also must maintain an environment where peeps can express their feelings freely.

A few reminders on proper forum etiquette: http://www.ehow.com/how_2106033_use-proper-forum-etiquette.html

1) We must respect that others have different opinions, but we must be civil and friendly even if we don't agree.

2) If you ever feel a post is directed to you personally and that someone may be "attacking" you, by no means respond publicly. Hit the report button on the bottom of that post and the SS staff will review and take action if needed.

3) Express your differences of opinion as such.

4) Remember there are lots of challenges with communicating by text only. So much is lost (tone, body language, etc.) which can cause a HUGE miscommunication problem. Per wikipedia:

"Some researchers put the level of nonverbal communication as high as 80 percent of all communication. More reasonably it could be at around 50-65 percent. Thats exactly what Mehrabian discovered in his communication study. He found that only 7 percent of communication comes from spoken words, 38 percent is from the tone of the voice, and 55 percent comes from body language."

So, you can see that in cases where people are reading and then posting replies to a comment, especially one that has a lot of emotion, a TON of information can be lost or miscommunication. This is usually responsible for 90% of the problems on forums which cause threads to be locked or removed.

We encourage everyone to be VERY careful as they read AND reply to posts on a forum (i.e., have a thick skin when reading and be very friendly and clear when posting).

5) Be careful how you reply to someone posting their opinion and how you react to "attacks". Never flame a person for their opinion. Examples:

Bad:
"You're pretty dumb for believing that! Let me tell you that I know I'm right and you're wrong..."

Good:
"I see what you are saying. I personally believe that xxx yyy...."

Bad:
"How dare you call me dumb you jerk!"

Good:
--- Do not reply publicly but report the post to the staff.

Again, our goal is to continue to foster open, educational, and friendly discussion, and as the forum grows we want everyone to keep this in mind.

Keep up the great work and the fantastic conversations. This forum is already chalk full of really valuable information!

:thumbsup

kstaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a quick note to all as a moderator. If there is a problem on the board. DO NOT PM a moderator. By policy, we review and act as a team on all the boards, except in the case of something that is glaringly an emergency to be dealt with immediately. In order to follow our own moderator rules we need members to use the "report" button. It is only by maintaining this policy and structure we can effectively review a problem from many perspectives and offer a fair review.

Thank you in advance for helping us be effective.