SufficientSelf's Bible Study & Devotional 2.0

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Some of the old timers here will remember the Bible study thread we had years ago. Now, more than ever, do we need to be studying, and devoting ourself to Biblical theology and doctrine. Everyone is free to comment and participate in this study. We won't worry about denominational lines too much, but we need to be united around the central truth is that Jesus was born of a virgin in Bethlehem, lived a perfect and sinless life, taught many great things and did many miracles on earth, and then in this holiest of weeks was betrayed by a disciple, Judas. After that, he was beat, mocked, crowned with thorns, robed with a purple robe, and then crucified. Then, only after he gave up the ghost, he physically died. His body was then laid in the tomb of Joseph, and a stone was rolled in front of it. Then guarded by Roman soldiers. However, my beloved, that's not where the story ends. On the third day, early in the morning, Jesus Christ was resurrected in the body, and was seen of his disciples and many others before he ascended into heaven. That's shouting grounds, right there.

So, welcome, if you can agree to that premise.

SufficientSelf Devotional #1- April 8, 2020

"O taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the man that trusteth in him." Psalm 34:8

The goodness of God is well beyond our ability to fully comprehend. Notice that the Psalmist remarks to "taste" and "see" the goodness of the Lord. There is so much goodness to God that we have to use all senses to take it in. Can you taste God? No, but you can metaphorically taste the goodness of his mercies, blessings, and grace. God is good because that is his nature. He can't be anything, but good. He's not like you or I. His ways are far beyond our own. Can you see God? Not yet, but I will. However, I can see the goodness of the Lord in his creation. I can see it in the skies, flowers, and the beautiful things this world has to offer. I can see his goodness in the works of his children. Finally, because of these traits, the psalmist pronounces a blessing on the man who trusts in God. My friend, we are blessed to know him by the miracle of salvation. There's a miracle in each and every born again child of God. We are blessed if we trust in him. Why? Because God is good.

Numbers 4:24-26

Feel free to post, comment, and discuss. I will try to add one each day as time permits.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It sounds like an awesome idea. I use to participate in the Bible Study thread and I remember the wonderful
fellowship we all had.

Proverbs 18:10 The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run into it and are safe.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“By Love”

"A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.” John 13:34-35

On this same night, many years ago, after the Last Supper had been instituted and the disciples had their feet washed by Jesus this blessed commandment was given to them. A commandment of love toward one another. Now, keep in mind that this was in the very hour that Judas Iscariot (one Jesus loved) betrayed Jesus to the Pharisees. Love of the brethren is the evidence of where our faith has been placed. Love toward our brothers and sisters in Christ is part of the proof of our belief. All men shall know that we belong to Jesus by our love that we share. In this time of separation and isolation, our fondness and love toward one another should multiply and grow stronger. What would you give in this time to be able to be to gather with your brothers and sisters in Christ? Has this time of separation increased your desire to be together to sing, pray, shout, and hear God’s word? I am longing for the day to be together again and share God’s love with his people.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Well spoken. I have had the opportunity to be with some of my church family this week, as well as a neighbor who speaks of the increased frequency of the birth pangs. Then, when I went to pick up hatching duck eggs today, The young lady who I was blessed to spend half an hour with (I showed her how to candle her eggs) shared her faith with me. Oh such joy to meet an other sister. These days are but a moment in comparison to eternity. I pray that Jesus will come to remove us before the greater persecution of the church comes to pass.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Well spoken. I have had the opportunity to be with some of my church family this week, as well as a neighbor who speaks of the increased frequency of the birth pangs. Then, when I went to pick up hatching duck eggs today, The young lady who I was blessed to spend half an hour with (I showed her how to candle her eggs) shared her faith with me. Oh such joy to meet an other sister. These days are but a moment in comparison to eternity. I pray that Jesus will come to remove us before the greater persecution of the church comes to pass.
The time of "Jacob's Trouble" is close and as Job said "my redemption drawers nigh."

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“It is Finished”

"When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said It is finished: and he bowed his head and gave up the ghost.” John 19:30

Finished. Completed. Done. All words that mark when the last part of a project, or task has been, well, finished. “It is finished” are the last words Jesus Christ spoke on the cross. With these three simple words, several works of God were finished. The prophetic death of the messiah, as told in the Old Testament, was completed as he received the vinegar. God’s story that was foretold in the prophets was finished. Simultaneously, the first part of the gospel message was completed. The Bible says that Jesus then bowed his head and gave up the ghost. He willingly suffered and died. Christ’s suffering was finished. The most brutal and horrific portion of the good news was completed. His precious body was broken. His blood poured out for the sins of many. His undeserved death and punishment was finished. The wrath of God was satisfied in his body. The death we should’ve died was done. Today, let’s all take some time and remind ourselves of the horrific price our sin cost the savior. Salvation is free, but it was not cheap. Go read these passages and find out why: Isaiah 53, Matthew 27, Mark 15, Luke 23, and John 19.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Buried”

"Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen clothes with the spices, as the manner of the Jews is to bury.” John 19:40

If the grave was the end for us, we would be living such empty, hopeless, and purposeless lives. One of these days, unless the Lord returns first, they’ll entomb my body in a coffin and bury it deep within the earth. The same will probably happen to you as well. In fact, the same happened to Jesus. Once he willingly died on the cross, his body was removed and interred into a new grave “wherein was never man yet laid.” He was wrapped in the linen grave clothes, and anointed with spices for burial. His body was laid in the tomb, and a large stone was rolled over the entrance of the tomb. Jesus’ burial is an important part to the Gospel story. His burial confirmed that he had in fact died at Calvary. He marked history as the first and only man to ever live a sinless life and then physically die. His burial confirmed the words of the prophet in that “he hath poured out his soul unto death”. My beloved, Jesus physically died and was interred in a borrowed tomb. If that was where the story ended, we would only have the story of a man who lived a good life and was tragically killed. A story fraught with betrayal and violence. However, the story was not finished. His body lay in the tomb, his disciples and his family were stricken with grief, but, my friend, the Spirit of God had not moved yet. Today, remember the second day. Remember the day that Jesus’s body laid marred beyond recognition in the borrowed tomb. All hope is not lost.

Latest posts