SufficientSelf's Bible Study & Devotional 2.0

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Alive and Well”

"But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.” Romans 8:11

On this very day, many years ago, the greatest and most important event of all eternity happened. Jesus of Nazareth, who had been betrayed, beat, mocked, and killed, was resurrected from the dead. Jesus was physically resurrected. He was then seen by the disciples, and many others before he ascended into Heaven with the promise that he would soon be coming again. This is the power of the Gospel message. Jesus wasn’t just a great person. He wasn’t just a teacher. He truly is the promised Messiah of the world and the rightful King of Israel and this earth. His resurrection validated every claim that he made as he taught and healed. By his resurrection, it gives us hope beyond the grave. The Bible promises that he is the firstfruits of them that sleep. That is a wonderful promise for our eternity. In everything, from his life to his death and resurrection, he is our example. My beloved, the same spirit that brought his body to life in that tomb is the same spirit that dwells in the born again believer. That same spirit will save you from your sin. It will empower you to live a holy life before man and God. It will give you strength when the natural man is tempted. Finally, the greatest promise is that just like Jesus we will be raised to eternal life in a brand new body. Why? Because Jesus of Nazareth, by his resurrection, has defeated death, hell and the grave. Paul wrote in his first letter to the Corinthian church, “O death, where is thy sting? O grave, where is thy victory?”. Today, and every day, we have life because JESUS IS ALIVE AND WELL.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
AMEN. I praise Jesus! If He had failed to fulfill even one of the hundreds of prophecies foretold in the scriptures of him since the beginning of time, then... He would not be who He claims to be: God, who took on human form, to live a sinless life, to redeem fallen man and provide a bridge for us to have a relationship with God.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Yearning”

"These all died in faith, not having received the promises, but having seen them afar off, and were persuaded of them, and embraced them, and confessed that they were strangers and pilgrims on the earth. For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country.” Hebrews 11:13-14

We can read, watch or become anything we want. We can pursue the world’s calling on our lives. We can climb the rungs of the social, and financial order. We could become the richest person in the world. However, if the deepest desire of our heart is not to reach the better land-- have we not missed it all? Yes, if that is not our desire, we have missed the point. In the unrest of today, tomorrow, and the days ahead, let’s clear our mind and dwell on a better land. Let us dwell on a land where there is no death. Ponder on the riches of that land. Imagine a place where there is no sickness or sin. Envision a country where the saints of all ages are dwelling with God. Let’s think about a country whose centerpiece and supplier is God. I would rather dwell in the courts of the Almighty than to be found pristine and popular in the rich man’s dwelling. I would rather be homesick for Heaven than gain all the riches this world has to offer. Are you headed to that better country today? Will your name be called on Heaven’s roll book? Die in faith and it will be.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How can anyone deny the presence and power of God? Can a scientist create even a leaf from nothing? Can a whole team of scientists create anything from nothing? And yet, people continue to deny God, preferring to believe that we somehow evolved from pond slime. Ok, but where did the pond slime come from and explain to me why there is still pond slime, why did it not ALL evolve into higher forms of life. The process of evolution sounds like a reasonable theory, but it is too much of a crapshoot for the myriads of thousands of evolutionary "mistakes" for even one higher life form. I am grateful every day for the beauty of this earth, the Blessings of the Lord rain down on us.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Struggling but Saved”

"O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of death? I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.” Romans 7:24-25

When we were born again, our spirit was reborn and we began to see things differently, act differently, and it totally changed us. Why? We literally have been re-birthed, or made alive in the Spirit. The greatest evidence of the Power of God in my life is the grace he has given me and how I am so different than I used to be. Old desires and appetites are gone, and I long to be what God has called me to be. However, this life is not without struggle. There is not one Christian in the history of the Church that has not struggled with the flesh in some manner. The flesh is that Adamic nature left behind from the curse that has been pronounced on this world. Paul recognized this in detail in his letter to the Romans. He frequently referenced the presence of the spiritual man and the fleshly man. The Christian is in constant war with the fleshly man. Spiritual warfare is real and struggling with the flesh is part of that. My beloved, in this verse, Paul summarizes the truth: God will deliver us from this wretched body one day. One day, we will be raised to life with a spiritual yet physical body not damaged by the curse of sin. Then, the fleshly man shall be dead and the spiritual man will live in abundance. Today, if you find yourself struggling remember that God’s grace is bigger than your failures and He will deliver you. Keep your eyes on Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. I might be struggling, but, my friend, I am saved.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Satisfied”

"As for me, I will behold thy face in righteousness: I shall be satisfied, when I awake, with thy likeness.” Psalm 17:15

Satisfaction is defined as the fulfillment of one’s wishes, expectations, or needs, or the pleasure derived from this. My beloved, true and eternal satisfaction comes only from God. It does not come from worldly pleasures, appetites, and our secret sins. The Psalmist declares two specific things related to this Godly satisfaction. The first being that our satisfaction in God is contingent on beholding the righteousness of God, face to face. Why? God is the source of every good, and perfect gift. He is light. He is life. He is love. He is a father to the fatherless. He is a warrior to the downtrodden. He is strength for the weak. In our natural state, we would die if we saw him face to face. Thus, we must be born again and be resurrected in a new body. The second declaration is that we shall be satisfied when we awake with his likeness. When I read that second clause, my mind begins to wander about the beautiful morning in the distance that Paul wrote about. One day, we will get up from the grave and we will rise with the redeemed of God to be united with him forever. On that day, I will be like Him in every way and I will be that way forever. On that day, I will behold his righteousness face to face. Then, and only then, will we be truly satisfied.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I’m a little late to the game as usual, but I’m so glad to see this little “revival” 😍 Welcome back James! Hi everyone!!!

I’ve read most of the comments here, and one thing that struck me was the fact that Jesus loved SO MUCH....he loved Judas, knowing full well he was a sell out that would begin the snowball that was his physical demise on this earth. He loved him even though Judas didn’t truly love him. How much more does he love the ones who do love him?

I struggle every second of every minute of every hour of every day....and I’m a doofus...but he still loves me 😂 It’s unfathomable.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
“Sanctity of Life”

"So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.” Genesis 1:27

Sanctity means sacred, or a connection to the divine. Life is sacred. The lives of unborn babies are sacred. The lives of the sick, and diseased is sacred. The life of the rich and the poor is sacred. The lives of those who look different than you, those who talk different than you, and think different than you are sacred. Why? Because man is the image bearer of God. We are the crown of creation. We are endowed with a soul that came from God. That is something special, and all lives should be treated as sacred. Regardless of your politics, step aside and see the divine truth that all of mankind is created in the image of God endowed with attributes that come from heaven. We love because He loves us. We are creative because He is the creator. My beloved, we are made in the image of God and so is everyone else from the moment of conception to the final breath of life. Ponder on that today.