SufficientSelf's Chicken Thread!!!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I thought this would be a good little thread to start. We can share pictures, husbandry techniques, how many eggs we got today, etc. :D

Post away!

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
1419_hpim0384.jpg

Some of my old Dominique Biddies!

Just a question, how much/what do you feed a day?

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have 18 layers and 2 roos-I use a self feeder that holds about 20lbs of regular ol layer crumbles and fill it once every 4 to 5 days. I also cook for them,usually at least 3 times a week they get mixed veggies and meat scrapes all cooked up in a pot.They get leftover bread,biscuits,rolls,pancakes....just about anything.

I have been getting 10 to 14 eggs a day,I feel thats not bad for winter.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
What I feed and how much varies with the seasons and the chicken's needs/production levels.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have 9 hens. No eggs. They quit laying over a month ago, they are all between 2-3 years old. I had gotten some year old hens a few months ago but the owls took them! Funny how they left the old girls. So this spring putting a roof over the coop and starting a whole new flock.

Eta- I feed nutrena layer feed. Also corn mixed with oats and sometimess wheat. I get day old bread and they get that 2-3 X a week and vegie leftovers.

Anyone feed whole sunflower seeds? My mom gets them by the 50 lb bag and always offers some of them to me. Never was sure about them tho.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Started with 6 barred rock pullets. Lost three this summer. One got into some transmission fluid. Two fell prey to a hawk. I used to let them free range but after the hawk the remaining 3 have been in security lockdown.
My coop...

45336_dsc00081.jpg

I built it to accomodate 8 birds but decided on 6. Will probably get some new chicks this year as my girls turn 3 years old next May.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow I love it! Kinda glad I can't post pics! My coop is more, shall we say shabby? Makes me want to remodle for my girls.

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
Anyone feed whole sunflower seeds? My mom gets them by the 50 lb bag and always offers some of them to me. Never was sure about them tho.
Thanks.
Whenever I fill the feeders I fill a 3lb. coffee can 1/2 with oyster shell grit and 1/2 sunflower seed and throw it straight out on the ground for scratch. Black oil sunflower seed is 14% protien so I use it to supplement their diet. I buy it in 25lb. bags it would take forever to use 50lbs.
I also supplement in winter with a head of cabbage every now and again and a suet block. :)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I feed whole BOSS when I feed it. They are my chicken's favorite whole grain but I limit them in my whole grain mix. I like to add them as a good source of selenium and protein.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Wasn't sure becouse of the shells. Black oil is what she gets. I will add that to their grain mix.

Latest posts