Sugar- did you know?

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I didn't realize that sugar beets were now roundup ready genetically modified! I heard today on VPR that a judge has said that GM beets can't be planted next year.

A federal judge says sugar beet farmers can't plant genetically engineered varieties next year, and those farmers, who produce half of America's sugar, now are in a bind. Many of them say they cannot go back to the way they used to work because they don't own those tools anymore and there aren't enough conventional seeds to go around.

The genetically engineered sugar beets, called "Roundup Ready" beets, can survive doses of the herbicide Roundup. That makes it easier for farmers to control weeds -- they simply spray Roundup (or chemically equivalent herbicides) over their fields, and the weeds die while sugar beet plants thrive.

When sugar beet growers switched to the new varieties two years ago, they did not expect legal problems. Roundup Ready soybeans and corn, approved a decade earlier, cover millions of acres of American farmland, and those crops had received exactly the same government approval.

But in recent years, environmental lawyers such as George Kimbrell, a senior staff attorney at the Center for Food Safety, have rolled out a new line of legal attack against genetically engineered foods.

"The concern is the farmers' loss of their fundamental right to choose the crop of their choice," Kimbrell says.

Kimbrell argues that an organic farmer might lose that choice, for instance, if another farmer across the road grows genetically engineered versions of the same crop. When the crops flower, they will cross-pollinate, and the organic farmer may have a problem. "If you're marketing your product as organic, or non-GMO [genetically modified organism], and it's contaminated, you can lose your markets; you can lose your certification," Kimbrell says.

Can't Go Back

Kimbrell's group, along with some organic seed producers, sued the U.S. Department of Agriculture, arguing that the USDA did not look carefully enough at the potential impact of cross-pollination before it approved genetically engineered sugar beets.

A federal judge agreed. In August, he shocked the sugar beet industry by revoking approval of the beets until the USDA carries out an environmental impact study.

That could take a couple of years. So unless there's a new legal twist, farmers will go back to planting conventional beets next spring.

Some of them, though, say they simply cannot. Duane Grant, chairman of the Snake River Sugar Co. in Idaho, says the difficulties start with the most basic necessity: seeds.

"The seed companies are telling our company that we don't have enough to plant a full crop," he says.

In addition, it won't be easy to go back to the old ways of killing weeds. The teams of migrant workers who chopped out weeds in the old days are no longer available. Grant says he has discarded the special equipment that he once used to spray a cocktail of different chemicals, every week or so, down the rows of young beet plants.

"I simply do not have the expertise on my staff to apply conventional herbicides today," he says. "We'd have to go back to a training process. I'd have to purchase new sprayers, new cultivators. We're in a bit of a box, really."

Grant is hoping and even expecting the USDA to rescue him, and there is speculation that the agency may issue some sort of interim approval for a Roundup Ready crop next spring. Agency officials, however, declined to comment.

Growers On Notice

Two weeks ago, the USDA announced that it would allow sugar beet seed companies to grow genetically engineered seedlings this fall, but environmental groups immediately sued to block that approval. The case is still pending.

Kimbrell doesn't have much sympathy for the farmers.

"They've been on notice since we filed our complaint that this was a likely result of the case -- so for over two years now," he says. "So any crying wolf now is not in good faith."

Sugar beet growers in Idaho, such as Grant, may be in the worst situation. They fell hardest for genetically engineered beets because they have some of the most severe weed problems. Farmers in other areas, such as the Red River valley of North Dakota and Minnesota, say they probably could harvest a conventional crop next year. But they warn that it would be a smaller harvest, and they caution that there may be sugar shortages and higher prices down the road.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Yet another reason to ditch sugar in all its many forms.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I buy sugar at the stores. I haven't switched entirely over to raw sugars (just tastes odd since I grew up on white sugar). Will have to get used to it and maybe get a few 50lb bags of raw sugar in case this makes sugar prices soar. I can't go without sugar! Lol.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Nichole, I'm sure you could find non-GMO varieties, maybe at heirloomseeds.com or a similar website.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Urban Dreamer, I have wanted to try and grow sugar beets too. I think I did try one year, but something went wrong.

My grandmother used to make syrup using sugar beets and use it for barter during WWII in Poland.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I have trouble growing root veggies for some reason. Maybe my soil is too heavy around here. I'd rather have bees. And the raw sugar is really expensive! Thank heavens we don't use too much sugar in anything. But it is literally in every processed food you buy, especially since I don't want to eat HFCS *OR* "corn sugar" either. Guess what is going to be used more if there is a sugar crisis next year.

Anyone make good jams with low sugar? I tried an apple jelly last year with honey, but I don't like it. It doesn't even taste like apple.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Gee, Makes sense to me, the Government has a high import tarrif on sugar from outside the USA and subsidies of U.S. sugar to "insure the sugar industry survives" And then ties the US producers hands by regulation. The jump in HFCS use in processed foods was due to the government trying to support US sugar production. It seems to me that the more they mess with it it just raises prices to the cosumer.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
valmom said:
Anyone make good jams with low sugar? I tried an apple jelly last year with honey, but I don't like it. It doesn't even taste like apple.
You can use pectin for low to no sugar jam. That's all I use. If I pick my fruit off the tree at the peak flavor it's usually does not need any sugar.

Can someone give me a brief description of turning a sugar beet into sugar?

This sounds just like the poor guy in Food Inc Monsanto went after.

g

Latest posts