Sugar--make it at home

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://www.grandpappy.info/rsugar.htm

good little website with 'how to' info.

Make your own sugar crystals at home. Other Uses for the Beet Sugar Water and the Beet Sugar Syrup
Alcoholic Beverage: The beet sugar water may be fermented to make a type of "rum" or a type of "vodka." These alcoholic drinks are very popular in Czechoslovakia and Germany.
Sweet Thick Beet Sugar Syrup: The sweet thick "honey like" beet sugar syrup may be spread on bread or pancakes and eaten. It may also be used as a substitute for honey in dessert recipes.

"we all want to stock that sugar if needed, but if no sugar was available, be sure to have sugar beet packets for planting. at least that way you would have some sweet if needed"

:)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That's pretty cool. I could do it once DD moves out, but she's allergic to beets :/ I wonder if you can grow your own sugar cane here in Tennessee..

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've wanted to do this for years, but could never find sugar beet seeds! May just have to try this.

Cindi, I'm pretty sure they used to grow sugar beets around here, so I'm thinking you could probably grow them down your way.

ETA: Baker's Creek has the sugar beet seeds! http://rareseeds.com/vegetablesa-c/beetroot/albino-beet.html

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
That's pretty cool. I could do it once DD moves out, but she's allergic to beets :/ I wonder if you can grow your own sugar cane here in Tennessee..
My grandad grew sugar cane in central FL. Wish I knew how he processed it!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I am smelling a project.....sniff sniff
don't encourage her, and YOU have more than enough to do. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we grew cane here. made molasses at our lassy mill for many years. it grew fine for us. plus the canes went to the critters after pressing and WOW they went nutso for it.

sugar beets are more for a garden situation vs. field crops. it took ALOT of cane to make a little juice.

tho I have no idea how many beets make what amt of sugar lol

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd like to try the cane for a few years if I can figure out how. After DD moves out I could do the sugar beets. I hate her food allergies :/ This would be an awesome project though!!! I'm going to research sugar cane!! :D

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You Green Folks,Be on the lookout for non GMO sugar beet seed, About 80% of the 2010 crop was Round-up Ready. Sugar Cane will grow in Zone 7 It is used as a tall grass accent plant in smart suburban landscapes. Oh yes sugsr refining is not as easy to do as grandpa's Post makes it sound. It you are not carefull you will end up with high fruitose syrup and nothing will crystalize out,

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
~gd I didn't figure it was quite that easy either. I see it will grow here being subtropical. There are 37 different kinds of sugar cane plant used for sugar just in case anyone is interested. I think I'll try to find some and see how best to produce it. It likes lotsa water, but not wet roots...hmmm...I think I may have the perfect spot for an experimental patch over beside the underground spring :D

Latest posts