sugar withdrawal

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am trying to drastically reduce my sugar intake since my habit has been to eat several times the national average. I am just shy of a week into this and am cranky, and I had a headache yesterday which is unusual for me. Has anyone else gone through this? How long before I feel good again?
It is a struggle not to put myself back into the sugar coma I have lived in my entire life.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I remember some of the same symptoms...I was really cranky, too!! I just ate a bit of sugar, felt a lot better. I still eat sugar, not afraid to eat sugar. I just try not to overload like I did before.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It took me three weeks after I cut white sugar. I had full DTs. Shakes, vomiting, dizzy for the first week... then fatigue for a week... then a week to even out.... Once it passed, though, I felt great.

How far did you reduce and what did you cut out?

I found that fruit helped. It was sugar, but it wasn't the processed sugar that I was detoxing from. So it eased the pain without setting me right back up again.

Good luck. Don't go back. You will get through it (It is the autism that makes it so bad. My brain chemistry teeters and totters so much :/ and all change is bad lol) and THEN you will feel much better.

So, hey, if you are the same rate I am, you are halfway through the ickers part, and already past the worst :D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Good for you! :thumbsup It's very hard but it will be so worth it!!! You'll be glad you did. If you're to the cranky part, you should just have a few days of tiredness and then you'll be feeling like a brand new you! If you can, just try to take it easy and not have such a full schedule for a couple of days. Earlier to bed or a nap might help if you're able.

Also, eating some good healthy fats and making sure you have enough fiber will help you feel full so you're not as tempted to binge. I found apples were great for the fiber and taste of sweet. Nuts and carrot sticks for the crunch factor and to distract myself.

Is that the only thing you're changing right now?

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is the only change I am making at the moment. My goal right now is to cut 80-90% of the white sugar out of my diet (which probably puts me at about half the average :rolleyes:). I eventually want to go further, but I was afraid it would be too much of a shock to my system. Growing up, my mom wanted me to gain weight, so I was allowed all the cookies, candy, ice cream, etc. I wanted.

abi - How did you know all change is bad?;)

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement. I REALLY appreciate it.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Those symptoms really show how harmful all that sugar was to your body. You are likely detoxing. Drink lots of water, too, to help your body move toxins out. Eat lots of high fiber (LGI) veggies with butter or cooked with salt pork/bacon (like greens or string beans) to keep your colon moving stuff out. Have some probiotics, too, like fermented foods that are still alive.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
when I lost weight and put myself on healthier eating, sugar problems never happened.

when I wanted sugar I ate fruit...problem solved for my sugar fix

no headaches or anything

or if really craving, I would spoon up a teaspoon of maple syrup or something to kick my habit...small and moderation is key

Latest posts