Suggestions on what can be made with recycled screens?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
we have used screens as covers for chick brooders.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Beanie said:
Marianne said:
K0xxx is right, the aluminum window screen (painted black) passive solar heater performed better in tests than the can ones. You can also get instuctions at http://builditsolar.com (I love that site!)
Ok - I'm brain fried...where do I find that on the site? All I see is big projects - not the little DIY for Dummies stuff that I need.
Try this link.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Much less practical but I have used them to line the open seat of an old chair (one that needs its seat fixed with either caning or a cushion) and then line it with moss, fill with soil and plant with flowers. This one was done with chicken wire but it shows what I mean. (Not my work....)

chair_planter.jpg

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://builditsolar.com/Experimental/AirColTesting/Index.htm
Scroll down the page a bit to find the screen absorber collector.

Yes! I agree, it's gotten so big you have to do some hunting. I know the screen collector is in a different area than this, but I knew right away where I had read about it.

Oops, looks like Mark already posted the page. Man, I am behind today! :lol:

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
If you hunt, you can build a screen house for hanging the meat during the colder part of fall.
We have family that have an amazing meat cabin, that is screened on the upper half all the way around, and has meat hooks down the center and around the edges inside.

The room, if big enough, can double as a screen house for dinners or as a play house for littles.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Sooo many good ideas! I need more screens now! Thank you all for all of the suggestions... we're going through what we can do that would be best right now. We did make a little broody chicken place within the big coop that worked out good so far, she gets privacy without moving her to someplace that is not familiar to her.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Don't give up yet on the idea of dehydrating....herbs are very easy to grow and dry yourself and much of it is done late spring/early summer before all the big garden harvest starts coming in. Things like oregano, sage, mints, parsley, basil, etc.

I like to wash the herbs, spin them in a salad spinner, pinch off the leaves (except oregano, it is easier to deal with if dried on the stems) and lay them on the screen. Then put the screens on the back seat and/or passenger seat of your car and park it in the sun all day with two of the windows slightly open to allow moisture to escape. If you have a rustbucket of a car with holes in the floorboards, even better air flow!! :D Once they are crisp-dry, put them into airtight jars for use in cooking.

Windyhillfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's really just THAT easy? I tried drying flowers and failed absolutely miserably :( I was thinking of converting my flower bed that goes around my porch to an herb garden, but was scared because I wasn't sure I could use all of the fresh herbs I'm sure to get. Now I'll comandeer two screens for my future herbs!