Sunblock For Sale/Trade

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have gotten lots of feedback on my sunblock, and several suggestions to post here, so here goes. :D Please PM me if interested.

I posted the recipe here, but I know some folks may not want to spend the $50 that it takes to get the materials to get started.

I make homemade mineral sunblock in waterproof and regular versions. Regular is nicer on your face and other delicate tissues, as it lets your skin breathe more easily. I also can include insect repelling essential oils if you want an all-in-one product. Some people with allergies may have trouble with the essential oils, but I have used them on very young children with no problems, so I think they are pretty gentle, overall. We still have to resort to DEET based products when we go into the U.P. woods, but for a typical summer evening, the essential oils work just fine.

I am willing to trade for:
-zone 3/4 (short season) seeds/sets
-a stick (immersion) blender
-a manual blender
-gamma seal lids

I have been packaging sunblock in 2 oz. glass baby food jars (since I have MANY of them), but if you are concerned about weight for shipping, I can use plastic containers for an additional $0.25.

Prices are as follows:

Small 2 oz. Regular Sunblock $3.00 plus shipping
Medium 4 oz. Regular Sunblock $5.00 plus shipping
Large 8 oz. Regular Sunblock $8.00 plus shipping
add insect repellent for $0.25 per ounce

Small 2 oz. Waterproof Sunblock $3.50 plus shipping
Medium 4 oz. Waterproof Sunblock $6.00 plus shipping
Large 8 oz Waterproof Sunblock $10.00 plus shipping
add insect repellent for $0.25 per ounce

Because it is made from minerals, this sunblock does not expire like chemical sunscreens. However, the lotion suspension will eventually go bad, since it is made with natural ingredients. I would not order more than you will use in 12 months time. If your lotion still smells and feels good after a year, go ahead and keep using it. If you have some left over at the end of the summer, stick it in the fridge and it will probably keep until next year. For reference, my family of five uses one 8 oz. container of waterproof sunblock per summer, and I go through about four 2 oz. containers of regular sunblock per year using it on my face and hands. If you want to split with a neighbor, I am happy to combine shipping.

If you just want to try it out, I suggest getting one small container of regular and one small container of waterproof with insect repellent.

This does make you look a bit pale, and, in the case of the waterproof stuff, a bit yellowish. You need to rub it in *really* well, and be careful not to plop on too much. However, the advantage to this is that you do not have to reapply the waterproof very often- I put it on my kids once in the morning for long days at the beach, and they've never been burned or even tanned. I have used it on a newborn with a doctor's approval and no problems. I have given samples to many a fair cheeked lass, and it has earned great reviews from them all. So long as you remember to use it, you won't get burned. And the regular stuff works very nicely as a makeup primer, especially under mineral makeup.

I do not have a spare $250,000 to get FDA approved, but I developed my recipe based on the ingredient list of California Baby's insanely overpriced mineral sunblock. (Hey! All that college chemistry wasn't a waste, after all!)

Ingredients:

Coconut Oil
Sweet Almond Oil
Castor Oil
Olive Oil OR Vegetable Shortening
Titanium Dioxide
Zinc Oxide
Essential Oils (insect repellent)
Beeswax (waterproofing)
Salt (preservative)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Well if you don't have the $250,000 for FDA approval, how do I know I can trust ya? :lol: JK...sounds like a great product!! I hope ya get lots of sales :)

mamaluv321

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Got back from Maine a few days ago and now that I'm back to quasi-normal I thought I'd leave you a review. You're sunblock is fantastic!! I heated it up in a water bath when I first got it as it had separated a teeny bit, then stirred it and it was good to go. It smells really nice as well, even the kids didn't mind it. And the best part is that it doesn't wipe off so easily under the eyes when swimming like all the store brand stuff does. So, over a 7 day period of camping then a 3 day festival with little shade, not one of the 5 kids that were with us got sunburned at all!! I give your sunblock 5 stars, because no amount of sweat or swimming managed to wash it off!! :weee :celebrate :thumbsup

Latest posts