Sun's Fading Spots Signal Big Drop in Solar Activity

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Sun's Fading Spots Signal Big Drop in Solar Activity

Wasn't it just a last year that we were being warned of an impending severe solar maximum with resulting solar storms destroying our electrical grid? I love science, and I have great respect for those that forgo making money in the private sector in an effort to learn more about our earth and universe, but.... it seems that every year or two we hear a new dire warnings of a new impending disaster.

A decades long drop in sunspot activity would probably herald a new Maunder Minimum. The Maunder Minimum was a period of no sunspots in the late 1600's, that lasted decades and was also referred to as "The Little Ice Age". If it does happen, it will wreak havoc with farming and world wide food supplies.

The "good" news, at least in reference to solar flares, is that they can happen anytime regardless of sunspot activity. They are much more probably when associated with sunspots, though. So... we may just end up freezing/starving, with no electricity for our radios. There goes our dance music as a way to at least stay warm.

Where's Henny Penny when you need her? :D

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
:lol: we're all gonna DIE!!!!!! :lol: Aint it something...sure glad I didn't buy into the solar panels :gig Keeping us confused is science favorite passtime me thinks ;) It's global warming... no wait...there will be no sun and we're hitting an ice age...no wait...what's that spot?!?! ROFL! I'm gonna see how much money they make off of this one :D

next week headline: Eggs are GOOD for you...(again)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know about Henny Penny, but Penny Henny is at the farm, where she belongs. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
so do i gotta keep this cat with tin foil hat on my head or what?

sun spots, no sun spots....i'm not sure what to do. sheesh!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Wasn't it just a last year that we were being warned of an impending severe solar maximum with resulting solar storms destroying our electrical grid? I love science, and I have great respect for those that forgo making money in the private sector in an effort to learn more about our earth and universe, but.... it seems that every year or two we hear a new dire warnings of a new impending disaster.
The dire warnings of impending disaster aren't science.... they are media, and in particular (these days) people who cherrypick whatever news items happen to fit their personal preferences/preconceptions and then flog them around the internet as The New Big Sign Of What's To Come (or in other cases, e.g. nutrition related, You Have To Do Things Exactly This Way).

Science is the process of figuring out how things work.

It is a PROCESS, contains MULTIPLE plausible interpretations of most things, is done by a diversity of people who all have their OWN take on things, and generally really really sucks (to date) at predicting things more complicated than 'the sun will rise in the morning', despite a few conspicuous exceptions.

The problem is that it is just much much more fun for people to pick one thing and run with it as if it's Truth.

The problem ain't science, it's human behavior.

Pat

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Even though there is all of the
Misinformation. Still there was a mini solar storm in the early 80s that did cause electronic damage and power grid overloads, and from wat i read a few satilites fell out of orbit.this was before we got into all of the small vulnerable electronics. So a solar storm is capable of damage. Its always good to be somewhat prepared.

Solar panels are expensive, but
For cheap solar power im gonna build a mylar coated satellite dish and heat an anti freeze type solution that will heat a secondary water tank, then pump that into the heating. If everything goes good i will try to get it done before fall. It would be cool! Some good examples of the solar dish is on utube. U gotta atleast wrk with 10 ft diameter or greater to get a nice hot focal pt.

Using the science to become self sufficient lol:cool:

S

sunsaver

I remember that solar storm in the eightes. The northern light could be seen here in Louisiana, and there was another one in the ninties, i think it was, that took out most of Canada's power grid.
I have solar panels that are only about $500 each, if you install them yourself. I have worry free, sealed agm batteries with up to ten years life span, and my lights never go out.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Sounds like you got it together for your lighting,Sunsaver....thats pretty cool...:)

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
sunsaver said:
...and there was another one in the ninties, i think it was, that took out most of Canada's power grid.
Far from "most of", scroll to the bottom of the page for the solar event that caused a portion of the province of Quebec (links states about 6 million people affected over a 24-hour period) to lose power.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Nice find!
Now i have to bring up nikola tesla on this subject because we as human beings, no alien being with sophiaticated technology, can harness the power of the cosmic rays!

Just google "utilization of radiant energy"1901.
Tesla was the first scientist to discover cosmic radiation,not hess! Tesla also build a simple device capable of absorbing the cosmic rays. Basically it was a highly insulated metal panel of sufficient surface area that was put up in the air. Then a wire is ran to a capacitor to absorb the charge and this is discharged into a battery to charge it. The other side of the battery is connected to a deeP earth ground to comPlete the circuit.
I hope you guys got time to look it up. Supposedly he perfected a tube version that would give a continuous 50-100 volts of energy day or night forever. The ultimate achievement in humans ability to create energy anywhere in the universe from these highly charged, energetic particles that propagate through all of us and the universe, comming from the suns and large cosmic events!
Our future could have been here less than 100 yrs agO!!!