sunscreen

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I don't use sunscreen, and haven't for many years.

I noticed a few years ago how the rate of skin cancers spiked - I would love to see a graph of when the rate spiked and how it related to the increased use of sun screens.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I've never used sunscreen except in the (couple times a year, -ish) circumstance where I'm going to be unavoidably out in a *whole lot* more sun than I'm used to. For instance a once-a-year daytrip to the beach; or if I have to spend all day in shorts and short sleeves very early in the season when I am still winter-pale.

Dunno whether it's the right thing to do, but it's what I do :p

The problem is, most of the info you'd need to know does not have any existing data for it. So there are a lot of different valid theories/guesses, IMO.

Pat

PunkinPeep

Humble Ambitions
Reaction score
Those are very interesting articles. More reasons for me to refuse to wear sunscreen. ;)

I think that when i was young and wanted a tan, i didn't want sunscreen..well, because i didn't want to screen the sun. I used baby oil!

But then when i got a little older and little wiser and knocked off all that maximum exposure business, i just learned to use my head and wear a hat if i have to be out there during the heat of the day.

I think i've bought one bottle of sunscreen in the last decade - or probably more. It is a travel size (i still have it), and i bought it because i was going to be in unsheltered mid-July, all day scorching sun.

But as to every day life. I do my chores in the morning, girl. Then i get my toosh in the house until the late afternoon.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I am not a regular user of sunscreen either....only beach days or some other time that I/we are out for an unusual amount of time in the sun.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Funny about that, but ever since my family has been eating healthier and lots of green leafy veggies, we haven't had any sunburns that lasted more than one day and none deeply serious, no matter how long we are out in the sun.

We haven't used sunscreen since the kids were little and that was the bare minimum, only on high points like noses, shoulders, etc.

Now I find myself wishing I could tan on my legs like I used to! :p

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't use it on a regular basis either. Like everyone here, I use it early spring, if I am going to be on the water all day or the beach or other unusual circumstances. I wear hats and loose clothing as much as possible and go inside during the midday hours.
If I burn, I am usually tan the next day, no peeling or anything. People get so alarmed and I go: it's nothing, and they don't belive me. ;)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I tend to forget to put in on DS unless we're at the beach or somewhere else in direct sun because he just tans :hide
I on the other hand can burn to a crisp walking to my car.... :barnie
Family history of skin cancer on both sides. What's a girl to do? I won't live inside in the summer. I do cover up a lot but sometimes it's just too hot.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was just talking to someone about the nasty stuff in sunscreen. But I have the same problem, Henrietta! I am extremely fair, so it's not wise for me to go out in the sun w/out something. I always have my great big hat on, and if I'm out in small doses, my arms and legs will tan eventually. But if I'm out for any stretch, I have to use sunscreen or risk certain massive sunburn. Of course, I HATE how sunscreen feels on me, and my face is too sensitive for even the 'hypoallergenic' kind. I use the same strategy w/sunscreen as I do with bug repellent - only when I absolutely have to, and I wash it off immediately after I come inside. Not the best solution, but I have to do something. :/

This is an interesting/scary website which will tell you what chemicals of concern are in pretty much any 'cosmetic' product (lotion, shampoo, make-up, etc): http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/. It is put together by the Environmental Working Group, which is mentioned in the article.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My solution to sunscreen - is clothes! I wear lightweight cotton, long sleeves and jeans throughout the spring and the beginning of summer. In my family skin cancer is not an if, it's a when, so sunscreen is a must on really hot days when my skin is exposed, but I just wear long sleeves if I can get away with it.