Super Kefir grains?

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I had bought some kefir grains a while back, and tried to use them regular. I think the problem is that, I seem to have over active grains. If I leave the grains in a quart of milk for 12 hours, it is already starting to separate. 24 hours, and it is pretty much curds and whey, totally separated. In either state, it tends to cause constipation. If I leave it in the fridge in the fresh milk, it takes a day or two to be kefir, and maybe a week before it starts separating. I keep hearing that the grains have to be put out at room temperature for a while so they can eat, but these eat and grow, staying in the fridge all the time. My fridge is about 38-39 degrees, and my house stays about 69-70. Anyone have similar experiences with their grains? If I let it culture on the counter, I am just wasting milk. If I let it work in the fridge, it is good. I have probably a quarter cup of grains, and I use them in a quart of milk.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would try something closer to a teaspoon per quart.

Not sure why they are working so quickly or how it is even related to constipation.

What kind of milk are you using?? I don't think the separation is bad, yo can just give it a shake before using.

:hu

g

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks, Is that about what you do(1 tsp to 1 quart?)

I will try a quart with fewer grains, I had just read that you should use 1/4 cup per quart. I could have misunderstood that... Regarding the GI effects, from what I read, kefir that cultures less can have a laxative effect; kefir that cultures longer, like when the whey separates out, has a constipating effect; even when stirred back together.

What do all of you do?, what measurement of grains, to what measurement of milk?

Thanks again!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
That sounds about right. A tsp of grains. I use a quart when I need more kefir, a pint when I need less. Same grains. Mine are in a growth phase right now, which is great. When the air gets a bit drier (it is very humid here now, when we start using the wood stove, it will be perfect) you can dry some grains to store in the freezer. Or you can dry them at a low temp in a dehydrator. I find the dry ones are very handy for passing on to other people as they can be shipped. I've also found them handy when I've neglected my culture and killed it, which usually happens when I dry the does off. Kefir is part of my milking (filtering and bottling the fresh-squeezed milk) chores so when I stop milking, I forget to switch the grains to fresh milk and they get nasty. :p

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You can also store your extra grains in the fridge. When I was actively making kefir I had grains coming out my ears. I keep quite a bit in a quart jar if milk in the fridge. Then I just change the milk every couple weeks. Sometimes much longer.

Very interesting about the GI effects. I had never heard that before.

G

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ok, I will definitely try fewer grains. Free, thanks for the info on preserving some grains. I will get started on that, next.

Tanks, the GI effects of kefir are very interesting, and very useful if one has a problem with regularity. It works fast, too. Kefir is pretty powerful stuff!