Supreme Court ruling re Monsanto's GMO alfalfa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lady Henevere

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The media is reporting that the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Monsanto, allowing GMO alfalfa to be planted before an environmental impact report can be completed.
One story: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jun/22/business/la-fi-court-monsanto-20100622
The court's opinion: http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/09pdf/09-475.pdf

But there may be some good news. While the media is touting this as a Monsanto victory (since the ban on test-planting of the GMO alfalfa was lifted), within the nuances of the opinion itself it may not be so bad. While limited test plantings may go forward, there still must be an environmental impact report before GMO alfalfa is widely used. And more importantly,

...the Supreme Court has also now ruled for the very first time that environmental harm includes economic effects such as reduced agricultural yield or loss of market due to genetic contamination, as well as the concept of what biologists refer to as gene flow (in practice, the idea that genetically engineered material may get into conventional plants through cross-pollination). The Supreme Court now accepts that this phenomenon in and of itself is harmful and illegal under current environment protections.

Thats a huge win for our side Thats gigantic! Michael Hansen, senior staff scientist of Consumers Union, told me. Future lawsuits can now confidently use the gene-flow argument against approval and use of genetically engineered crops.

Others share his glee. The Center for Food Safety called the ruling a victory for the Center for Food Safety and the farmers and consumers it represents.
(Quote from http://civileats.com/2010/06/21/supreme-court’s-ruling-on-monsanto’s-ge-alfalfa-who-won/ )

Apparently Monsanto got a little giddy before actually reading the opinion. According to that same article, Monsanto released a statement saying,
This is exceptionally good news received in time for the next planting season. Farmers have been waiting to hear this for quite some time. We have Roundup Ready alfalfa seed ready to deliver and await USDA guidance on its release. Our goal is to have everything in place for growers to plant in fall 2010.
That statement does not reflect reality in any way. Now the statement on Monsanto's website is more accurate, saying they have no idea when the impact report will be complete, and until then GMO alfalfa cannot be planted by farmers. http://www.monsanto.com/roundupreadyalfalfa/

Hopefully this ruling will provide some solid legal ground to fight back against GMO foods. It may also be yet another reason to buy organic -- the more organic farms out there, the more damaging cross-contamination will be, and the less GMO products will be seen as "harmless."

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, yay! Round-Up drenched alfalfa, dried with CropSaver chemicals to speed up drying and prevent mold! Whoopee! Can't wait to go out and buy some for my goats so I can make them sick and have chemical-laden milk and cheese!

****drips with sarcasm**** :rolleyes:

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Oh, yay! Round-Up drenched alfalfa, dried with CropSaver chemicals to speed up drying and prevent mold! Whoopee! Can't wait to go out and buy some for my goats so I can make them sick and have chemical-laden milk and cheese!

You do have the choice not to buy Monsanto products, there is nothing forcing your little Green Organic operation to buy, just as there is nothing forcing me to buy your organic products that may be chemical free but loaded with toxic micro-organisms from the compost/manure you add to the soil. Do I really want to pay more for manure?
>>>just a dash of sarcasm<<<<

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
When 90% of the market is GMO, do people REALLY have choices? Seriously?

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
Do I really want to pay more for manure?
I would & oftentimes do, but for the most part I get it from my bunnies, goats & chickens for freeeeeeeee! :tongue

Hopefully this ruling will provide some solid legal ground to fight back against GMO foods. It may also be yet another reason to buy organic -- the more organic farms out there, the more damaging cross-contamination will be, and the less GMO products will be seen as "harmless."
THAT!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
~gd said:
freemotion said:

You do have the choice not to buy Monsanto products, there is nothing forcing your little Green Organic operation to buy, just as there is nothing forcing me to buy your organic products that may be chemical free but loaded with toxic micro-organisms from the compost/manure you add to the soil. Do I really want to pay more for manure?
I am not selling any organic products, fyi. And there is nothing toxic about my compost....non-toxic in, non-toxic out. I thoroughly compost my manure before putting it on food crops....Do some research on proper composting. Am I missing something? Why are you here on ss if you are going to criticize self-sufficient and sustainable practices? :hu

And when I was reading in the Baker's Creek seed catalog on corn, they had a disclaimer this year that they can no longer guarantee that their seed is free of GMO genetics, as it is so pervasive that it is impossible to prevent the wind from taking the pollen into their fields and contaminating them. WZ is correct. It is impossible to avoid, and here is one more item that will be ruined forever.

Do some research.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I'm so depressed. :/ I signed the petition and everything.

~gd, really????? How would the average consumer (which used to be me, d-a-m-n-i-t!) have the choice to buy or not to buy gmo grown food if it is NOT on the d-a-m-n label???????????????????????? REALLY? REALLY? REALLY?

While you are eating that wonderful abundunt gmo food, please enjoy all that wonderful drinking water that runs downstream too. :rolleyes: Yum! Don't ya just love drinking roundup!!! Hell, skip a step and have a shot of round-up, straight up, on me!

Cheers!!!!!

Yup, I have a sick kid with severely compromised lungs and heart, it has been a long couple of days...go roundup :rolleyes: woohoo :rolleyes:

eta: forgot to say "please", where are my manners????

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Someone please tell me this guy is just a troll, right?

If not, I would like to pay him 3 bushels of gmo corn to stay up all night and listen to my kid cough, it is really wonderful entertainment! Doctors say it is all caused by environment, thank you monsanto et all!!!

Where is Erin Brockovich when you need her?

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
~gd said:
freemotion said:

seriously? do you farm at all? whatcha doin' here anyway, lobbying for Monsanto ? you have the wrong audience...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Aw, poor ds, Sally! Give her some manure-laden veggies in a nice poopy chicken broth, that'll pick 'er right up. Dripping with sarcasm again, of course.

Hit the report button with me, will ya, gals? Troll patrol.... :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.