Surprising Harvest!!

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, another name is Jerusalem artichoke (most likely from "girasole", which is Italian for sunflower, if I remember correctly.) A kind of funny story: I grew up on the central CA coast very near Castroville, which bills itself as the Artichoke Capital of the World. We ate a lot of artichokes, and loved them. The family moved to Ireland for a few years, and we missed our artichokes, especially my parents - this was in the '60's, and artichokes were not to be had. A neighbour however, hearing my mother's lament, gave her some Jerusalem artichokes, assuming they were what she wanted. She hated them! But she didn't want to offend the neighbour, and so didn't throw them away at home (someone might have seen - unlikely, but it was a small community, and you never know), but would toss them out the car window when out driving. She used to say that if there are sunflower like flowers growing in the hedges of southern Ireland it is because of those d**n artichokes! :D

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
I used to cook with them years ago, and really liked them. It's been a while, but to the best of my recollection I lightly sauteed them with some form of wild or exotic mushroom and leeks, added bay scallops and made a cream sauce with a pinch of nutmeg, serving it over angel hair pasta. Hmm... I hope I remembered that correctly.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
So, where do you buy tubers? Do they like only sun, or tolerate partial shade- can I put them on the border of the woods? Will they winter over in New England? Just how invasive are they?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
I think I read somewhere that they can be a good livestock food source.

They grow wild here in NE, which has about the nastiest weather anywhere. (it was -38 the other day)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
sylvie said:
I throw them in my root roast, which contains whatever roots I have on hand like carrots, small whole potatoes, parsnips, onion,, etc. I mix with olive oil, salt, pepper, rosemary and winter savory. When done I serve with a side of Country Dijon grainy mustard for dipping.
:th
:drool :drool :drool :drool :drool