"Sushi" Salad

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
This came about when I couldn't master the roll and I had all the ingredients waiting for me on the counter. We eat it for lunch weekly now.

for two salads:
10 shrimp cooked and cooled (and peeled etc.)
2 cups grated cucumber (I use a hand grated, large holes)
2 cups grated carrots
1 large avacado sliced thinly
2 cups of (we used brown) rice cooked (warm or cooled)
4 tsp (or more if you like) cream cheese (we use non fat)
enough toasted sesame to sprinkle onto the tops of the salads
soy sauce to taste
wasabi paste to taste (optional)

Divide all ingrediants evenly into 2 bowls. Start with the rice, then the veggies and then the shrimp. Dot the cream cheese over the top of the salad and drizzle the soysauce over everything. Sprinkle on the toasted sesame seeds.

In the past I've used nori (sp?) and chopped it up and sprinkled it throughout.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I looooove sushi. It's one of those scary hard things to make though, huh? Sometimes I make Onigiri, rice balls, with only eggs and cheese inside. It's not as good since I can't get sticky rice right, ever.

Do you have the mat for rolling it up? I have a sushi making kit, but not enough money to buy all the ingredients to actually use it, lol. Someday. I visited Japan when I was in highschool, and have been in love with it's food ever since.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I have a mat and I acutally got a roll rolled. It was just frustrating expecially when I went to cut the roll (I had a sharp knife too) it well, fell apart! :/

Try this salad. Most of the ingrediants are cheap. I have sub.ed imitation crab for the shrimp in the past. Shhhh ;) don't tell anyone, I also use frozen shrimp. The brand I like the most is "Contessa". I just bought another bag with 40-50 jumbo (pre cooked) shrimp for $17.00 at Safeway. If you give 5 shrimp per serving then it averages under $2.00 per serving. If I did my math correctly. Don't waste your money on any other brands. I did and now the chickens get shrimp every couple of days until it is all gone. I use frozen squid and this shrimp to make a killer gumbo too. It is a big investment at first, but it keeps very well in the freezer.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Regarding frozen shrimp, don't apologize. Unless you live on the coast, and know your shrimp fisherperson, you are probably getting better quality with the frozen article. They catch, and freeze, right on the boats - hardly any time at all between catch and freeze. I live an hour and a half from the coast, but don't have a reliable fish merchant in town. I always buy frozen. We have friends who catch their own, in season, but so far have not invited us to join them :D. With just 2 in the family, having a bag of shrimp in the freezer means I can have a quick shrimpy-something on the table with little effort, and no waste.

Oh, and BTW, that salad sounds good; thanks for the idea.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
This came about when I couldn't master the roll and I had all the ingredients waiting for me on the counter. We eat it for lunch weekly now.

for two salads:
10 shrimp cooked and cooled (and peeled etc.)
2 cups grated cucumber (I use a hand grated, large holes)
2 cups grated carrots
2 cups of (we used brown) rice cooked (warm or cooled)
4 tsp (or more if you like) cream cheese (we use non fat)
enough toasted sesame to sprinkle onto the tops of the salads
soy sauce to taste
wasabi paste to taste (optional)

Divide all ingrediants evenly into 2 bowls. Start with the rice, then the veggies and then the shrimp. Dot the cream cheese over the top of the salad and drizzle the soysauce over everything. Sprinkle on the toasted sesame seeds.

In the past I've used nori (sp?) and chopped it up and sprinkled it throughout.
That is a great idea!! I've tried making my own rolls too, using cooked ingredients or just veggies. I stink at it! This is a great way to get all the flavors and not worry about how it looks. Thanks for sharing the idea. :D Furikake could be a nice addition.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I am making this tonight and I totally forgot to put into the ingrediants list sliced avacado!!!!! It is waaay better with the avacado! I corrected the mistake.

Latest posts