Sustainable duck feed

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
It's not enough for them to live on, BUT....

I have a pond. I put rosie minnows in the pond along with duckweed. The duckweed reproduces well because of the fish poo. The fish live on insect larvae and algae so I don't have to feed them. Now the fish are reproducing.

All I have to do is occasionally scoop out some fish and some duckweed and give it to the ducks. Free duck food :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
That does it! I've got to get some duck weed and some "rosie minnows"!

How big is that pond? Mine is about the size of a claw foot tub, is that big enough?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Wonderful idea and thanks for sharing!! I need to get my pond set up fixed and look into doing that!

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
On this topic, anyone have ideas on how to attract slugs for my ducks. They are certainly here (I live in Western WA and the slugs are giant). But I'd like to draw them out of hiding for the ducks to get at easier.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, here all I need to do is plant a garden and the slugs come! I plant my leafy greens in five gallon pails for just this reason. Plant lettuce and hostas and the more expensive, the better. Water them well. Build it and they will come! :rolleyes:

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
On this topic, anyone have ideas on how to attract slugs for my ducks. They are certainly here (I live in Western WA and the slugs are giant). But I'd like to draw them out of hiding for the ducks to get at easier.
Put some beer in a dish in the middle of your yard, the next day you will find slugs (and my ex-husband) in it! :lol:

These Western WA slugs are no joke man!!!! OMG they are huge!!!!!

I take a baggie with me to the state parks and shove the poor unsusupecting slugs into it to take home to my birds b/c they have cleaned me smooth out of slugs.

Do you think your ducks have just cleaned up your share of W. WA slugs?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
My pond is one of those hard sided liners. I think it is around 500 gallons. In a claw foot tub you could do it with just a few. I threw 6 in along with some gold fish. Rosies are sold as feeder fish around here.

Now about the slugs. I already warned some of you what happens when you use beer on slugs. They just get drunk and make even MORE slugs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
My pond is one of those hard sided liners. I think it is around 500 gallons. In a claw foot tub you could do it with just a few. I threw 6 in along with some gold fish. Rosies are sold as feeder fish around here.

Now about the slugs. I already warned some of you what happens when you use beer on slugs. They just get drunk and make even MORE slugs.
:lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWW! Ew-ew-ew!

In Maine the slugs weren't incredibly big, but on several occasions I found myself, on a walk or a ride on my horse, in the middle of a sea of slugs. What got me to look down was the strange sensation and sound underfoot.....

Ew-ew-ew!!!!!!! :sick