Sustainable Hair Removal?

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh, and I'd consider that Tria laser-at-home thing, but they are $500! :( If they fell to a tenth of that price, I'd buy one, but $500? Get outta here.

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i have that 500.00 tria and it works. however it only works if the hair is jet black and fairly thick. i put it on the highest strenght and it hurts in someplaces that it doesnt hurt in other places at the same strength. it only last like 250 shocks or so. best to drink atleast one alcoholic beverage before beginning.

i have done the sugar waxing for the last 2 years. same with the tria. hurts in some spots that other spots wont even bother you. i did my leg once and an hour after i pulled that strip i have little red spots covering that area and 3 inches over NOTHING. i have 3 kids so my kids go thr jeans. i just cut up the worthless jeans and keep the good "squares" for waxing. a square about the size of like 6in x 9 in. you will come to find out which brand of jeans are best according to thickness. muslim is better but not by much and i always have the raggidy jeans available to cut up and they last atleast 12 waxings. they say to wipe the area with cornmeal first but i did it both ways and dont see any difference. also if you live in a humid climate dont make big batches. the humidity will thin the wax a bit over time. best to drink atleast 3 alcoholic beverages before beginning.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I use a 4 pronged approach to the problem - though I don't know how practical my solutions would be for others :lol:

#1 - Choose your ancestry with great care - I am light skinned and fair haired - even when the hair on my legs is long it is hardly visible, and I can't imagine ever finding it necessary to pluck my eyebrows

#2 - Change your point of view - I came to adulthood in the 1960's in California, and then lived in Europe for 3 years - somehow body hair just doesn't seem like a major problem to me

#3 - Marry a European - DH thinks that body hair is even less of a problem than I do, and actually thinks American women are sort of silly for making an issue out of removing it - I shave my armpits when the hair gets too long even for my sensibilities (maybe every couple of weeks in the summer - but I don't wear sleeveless shirts anymore, and rarely go swimming), but he wouldn't notice if I didn't

#4 - Encourage your hubby to grow a beard - I didn't have to encourage, mine has always had one, since before I met him. He uses an electric beard trimmer to keep it neat, and I have found - with my fair, light hair - that that also works very well on my legs in the summer - set to the closest cut it still leaves a very short stubble, but it is very fine, and non itchy, and basically (on me) invisible (and something I do, at most, every 2-3 weeks); there is also no danger of getting nicked - in Winter I always wear long skirts or pants, and so never bother.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
lol ORChick. I approve. And #2 is really my main issue. I don't care if I'm fuzzy all over, but then I don't get laid as often LOL. The only American boys I know who don't care are stoned all the time and I don't trust drug addicts to be clean.

And, in the summer, shaving is cooler.

Year round, I shave my pits. I just feel less smelly that way.

I already know I need to marry a European. Culturally, I'm not American. I don't think I could cope full time with one.

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL ORChick

1. I am very light skinned with dark brown hair.

2/3. I don't shave my legs year round, and never shave above the knee. I want to start sugaring my legs rather than shaving, we'll see how that goes. I usually only shave when I'm wearing nylons in the winter (because hairy legs and nylons feels bizarre to me). I don't wear shorts because they make me look way too suburban and non-threatening-- okay, that's a lie, they are just unflattering. I primarily wear loose, knee length skirts all summer, and I do like to shave then. If I had it to do over again, I would have never shaved my legs in the first place, but now the hair is so black and coarse that I really don't like the way it looks or feels. My hope is that if I start sugaring, eventually my leg hair will become fine enough to ignore. However, I would remove underarm hair even if I were not American or a man. This is a sensory issue for me- it is too tickle-y and far too itchy to have hair there. I am in no way offended or turned off by others' armpit hair, for me this is strictly a tactile issue.

And I am never going to let my unibrow grow in. Just no. I am not half as beautiful as Frida Khalo and could never pull that off or feel comfortable with it.

4. DH does have a beard (which I love, rawr) but he also is just a hairy dude- his beard would grow up to his eye socket and down to his shirt collar if he just let it. And while I think both of us could get into the Viking-wannabe thing, he has to keep his beard very short and everything else neatly trimmed up because he's a baker, and nobody wants a thick black hair in their muffin.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
#1 - Choose your ancestry with great care.
Coming from a long line of hairy barbarians, I totally messed up step 1. Pooh!

lwheelr

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use a double edge safety razor on my underarms and legs. They are fairly thickly infested, my husband teases me when I shave, using the term "deforestation". (My dad was a logger...)

Honestly, you won't notice a lot of difference in the use. You do have to be careful not to slide it sideways, and you need to make sure that the clip that holds the razor down stays tight.

I've used two different designs. One you twisted the handle, and the top opened up like doors, to drop the razor in. The other, the handle unscrewed, and the top came off in two pieces, top and bottom, and the razor sandwiched between them.

The reason it is important for that to stay snug, is that the top of the thing holds the razor down, but it also BENDS it, so it curves to the proper angle against the edge of the holder. So if it loosens a bit, you can end up with the angle wrong, and it is easier to cut yourself. You get used to that fast though, and it ends up not being much of a problem once you are used to not pushing the handle a certain direction (which can loosen it).

I get a cleaner shave with them than with triple blades. Stopped using them for a long time, it got really hard to find blades.

My mom had some, and she eventually went to plastic disposables. I liked the use of the old fashioned ones better, so I appropriated hers when I was a teen - my dad overheard her arguing with me, and sided with me - I used it, she didn't, so she grudgingly gave it to me, along with another one. I only have one of them now though. That is how I ended up being out of generation where razors are concerned! :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I am a big fan of sugar waxing. I am fair, although I tan quite dark in the summer so my blonde hair shows up on my legs more often in the summer. since starting sugaring, I maybe hav to do it two to three times per summer. I shave the pits, --but might try sugaring them too, but that will be after several strong ones. Hubby uses an electric razor, has had the same one for years and years, so I am the only one who buys razors, (for the pits), and one razor can last me probably 3-4 months.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm very fair with course, dark black hair on my legs. I have to shave them at least every other day (at a max - 2 days) in the summer or it's very noticeable. (I get furry in the winter because I get a lot of ingrown hairs from shaving in the summer)

As someone who has had their eyebrows waxed - and nearly jumped off the table from the pain, I'm a little hesitant to try waxing my legs - and any other part of me.

I understand that the skin around my eyebrows may be more sensitive, but I'm thinking the larger surface area of my legs would negate the diminished pain of a small area in comparison to my eyebrows.

Also, every time I get my eyebrows waxed, I break out. I'm pretty sure it's from the moisturizer they put on though, and not the actual waxing.

As it stands, I've switched to plucking my eyebrows - just enough to keep the lite uni-brow in check.

I've never paid to terribly much attention to how long they last. I just chuck 'em when they get dull.

What I'm getting at...

Is sugar waxing LESS painful than a regular wax? I'm guessing that it isn't - and that waxing is just waxing. Is this so?

Edited for attempted clarity

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I've had my eyebrows waxed once, I don;'t really have a need for it, but did it for a wedding. And I have only sugar waxed my legs, so I can';t compare to regular waxing. All i can say is, it does kinda hurt, but serioulsy for two seconds, while you are ripping. Afterwards, no pain, no rash, and NO HAIR for 3-6 weeks--that makes me endure the pain. It is soo worth it IMO.