Suze Orman on Oprah!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I didn't learn anything new.:rolleyes: It was mostly a WOW I can't believe they have that much debt!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am getting mostly disappointed with financial advice these days. (This is nothing against Suze or anyone else.) It was all well and good when it was new, but there is nothing new any more. Not new to me, I mean.

I should take that as a good sign. That means I am doing all I can possibly do to at the moment to promote our financial health.

Know what I mean? When I go to those websites that tell you 'a hundred ways to save up your emergency fund' I find I am already doing all of those things. Which is good! It's just frustrating that I can't find anything new. LOL

Now, I know when we finish paying off these last few debts and we move on to the next stage of our financial plan (saving, investing, etc...) then, there will be all new information to learn and implement!

But for now and probably the next couple of years, I have to be content that we are doing all we can with the resources we have.

Anyone else finding this to be the case?

Cassandra

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I hardly blink anymore at half of the advice. I tend to think "most" know what needs to be done with our finances, unfortunately people tend to choose indulgences and hope their futures work out. Its sound advice just so repetitive.

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was only able to watch the last half of this show. I was disappointed. And, when she got to the top 3 things to do in 2009 to save money I was sorry I even waisted my time. We already do all that!
Not spending money for an entire day......we do that quite often.
Not using a credit card for an entire week......what about a longer?
Not eating in a restaurant for a month.......we eat at home. (She forgot to say this includes take out or drive thru.)

I usually like to hear what Suze O. has to say, but not today.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Yes, Cassandra. I think that people on this site are obviously on a more distant end of the spectrum than a lot in the general public. After a while, when you've read and talked about and learned every single thing you can on a subject, you're going to hit that point where there is not much new to be heard. Maybe that's when our own creative juices can kick in and we can find whole new ways of saving :) Or, we can just look to the past for some "new" ideas.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Cassandra said:
When I go to those websites that tell you 'a hundred ways to save up your emergency fund' I find I am already doing all of those things. Which is good! It's just frustrating that I can't find anything new. LOL

Anyone else finding this to be the case?
We are the same way!

makerofstuff

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I understand that everyone is saying the same thing because that is what works. Still it makes me wonder what someone is doing when they run up more money on credit cards than they are making in a year. My husband would blow a gasket far before the $35,000 mark. LOL

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I can see that sometimes credit card debt just happens- although I admit those on Oprah were espeically silly.
Once I had a horse who had a mystery illness. Couldn't figure it out, couldn't get enough info to tell if he should be put down- so off to the State Vet School. $5000 later (or one week,) there I was. I kept thinking that one more $900 test would help. Finally I simply ran out of money and the horse was put down anyway due to financial limits and suffering.
But it took two years to get out of debt. (was many many years ago when $5000 was real money.)
I swore I would never do that again and haven't but can you imagine what you would be willing to charge if you or a loved one needed medical care? Allyour income eaten up by hospitals and doctors? Ending up charging for basic living expenses?
I can see that happening and feel really sorry for those in that situation.

captchris

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
i agree with you cassandra it seems that all the advise on tv is more just networks trying to attract viewers with the WOW rather than helping us regular people out

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
......can you imagine what you would be willing to charge if you or a loved one needed medical care? Allyour income eaten up by hospitals and doctors? Ending up charging for basic living expenses?
I can see that happening and feel really sorry for those in that situation.
Yes, that is the type of situation that I understand, and I feel sorry for those people.