Swap Meet in SW Washington

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
For our members here in SW Washington, there is now an alternative to the 30% commission farm auctions (if you can even find one!).

There is now a new "agricultural swap meet" being held every Saturday in the southwest corner of the Yard Birds parking lot in Chehalis from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.

For a $10.00 seller's fee, you can bring your animals, plants, other farm/ag items and sell/trade/barter. Or, if you're looking for something, you can come and actually talk to the sellers (unlike the anonymity of an auction).

Tomorrow will be only the third Saturday and we really need the support of the community to get this off the ground.

Last Saturday, I took a momma hen and her twelve babies, some roosters, and eggs to sell. (I had planned on taking a couple Muscovy drakes but it's like they knew and made themselves scarce when it came time to round them up. ) I had prices set for what I was selling and I was not at the mercy of an auctioneer eager to keep things moving. I had interest right away in the hen and babies; I was able to answer any questions about ages, breeds, etc. and sold them (as a family) for the price I was asking. I also sold some eggs. I didn't do too well with the roosters but the weather was cold and wet and not many buyers showed up.

One guy pulled in with ten Muscovy drakes and had them sold almost before he could turn his truck off.....for $18.00 each. Not only did he not have to pay 30% commission on that $180.00, he got his price for them and there was no risk the auctioneer was going to settle for a few bucks for them. The previous week (the first day of the swap meet), this same guy brought a big white turkey. He wanted a certain price, nobody was willing to pay it, and he happily took the turkey home and will try again another day.

In my case, I like my animals being handled with some care and that is not something I've seen happen at many auctions. Once you consign your animals over, you lose control and they can be handled in any manner whatsoever. I really much prefer having complete control over my animals until the moment ownership actually transfers.

Anyway, the weather tomorrow is going to be awesome. If you are in the area, or know someone who is who might be interested, maybe we'll see you there! I won't be selling tomorrow (my helper/kid is going to be unavailable) but I will be stopping in to see how it's going.

Please, if you can, help support this effort!

www.chehalismarket.com

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I was just thinking about swapping!! I just planted 50 peas in the ground!

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

Drake how far is Chehalis? It is going to be a beautiful day, if it is anything like today!

cjparker

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shoot, I'm in SE Washington, seems like close to 300 miles would be a bit too far to travel. I hope you get good attendance; it sounds like it will certainly fill a need.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I took a check for my hen and chicks but I'm not sure what other sellers are willing to do.

If you have a debit card, there are plenty of ATM's close by, as well as a grocery store (Shop and Kart) which will give cash back on a purchase made with a debit card.

If anyone is familiar with where the Chehalis Wal Mart and Home Depot are, the swap meet can be reached by taking that exit (other side of I-5, though).

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
I wish I would have known about your mama hen and chicks, I need a broody hen badly!
I have more! None that are broody at this moment but I do have some that are big-time broodies - three or four families a year.

I have one in particular that I think is going to turn broody any moment, in fact. :)

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Set one aside for me! What kind, it doesn't matter, just curious. I'm tired of raising mama-less chicks! (And none of my hens wants to go broody, of course.)

I placed an ad over at BYC, I didn't get any good answers.

How far are you from s. Kitsap? And how much would you want for one?