Swap Meet in SW Washington

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Set one aside for me! What kind, it doesn't matter, just curious. I'm tired of raising mama-less chicks! (And none of my hens wants to go broody, of course.)

I placed an ad over at BYC, I didn't get any good answers.

How far are you from s. Kitsap? And how much would you want for one?
A couple of years ago, right after I got hurt on the job, one of my co-workers brought me some game-type pullets he had (he only wanted the roosters).

These little birds and their offspring are great foragers and are always (it seems!) in the mommy mood. They are also ferocious when it comes to protecting their babies and often send the dogs running in fear (me, too, sometimes!). The momma hen I sold last weekend is a direct descendant of the original hens.

I think they are worth $10.00.

I'm not familiar with S. Kitsap but I could possibly meet you somewhere. (I've done that before.) I don't mind having an excuse to drive to Lacey as it gives me an excuse to hit the Value Village there.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Ten bucks, deal!

I know where Lacey is (I'm sorta new to the pacific NW.) I do believe we drove through Lacey to get to Olympia.

And I LOVE Value Village!!!!! Sounds like a great excuse to take a lovely drive through your beautiful state!!

Pm me a time and day to meet up...this weekend may be too soon for me. I'll bring a cage too.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
No, this weekend would not work for me either.

Possibly one day next week.

Better yet, come to the Swap Meet!

If we do meet at Value Village in Lacey, it is the Sleater-Kinney Rd. exit. I was trying to find the exit number but it's not showing up on Mapquest. I think it's 107 or 108 and the store is only a block or less off I-5. Very easy to find!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh this counds like such a cool thing to do some weekend, Iam in Yakima but we love road trips, made on on saturday to the Enumclaw auctions, they had so many birds!! I got 15 chicks, but when I went to pick them up---the office had given them to someone else----- I was just sick!! Iam so upset the whole trip back I was soooooooooo mad, the only good thing was I was able to pick up 3 tiny little goaties. One Boer doe and two cross Nubie bucks, so cute.I will probably take the bucks back to market in a month or so, just couldn't resist them, the doe I will keep, her name is Alice.

So maybe in a few weeks I can talk DH into any road trip wheeeeeeeeee.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Cinebar,

Beautiful weekend for a swap meet wasn't it? How did you do?

I still want that chicken, I can meet anytime with proper notice.

Cinebar

Power Conserver
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Cinebar,

I still want that chicken, I can meet anytime with proper notice.
Sorry. I haven't been here for a little while and missed this.

I now have three broody hens (that I'm aware of). Two of them are already on eggs but I have another one that is in a nesting box in the coop and I keep taking the eggs from her so she isn't actually setting on anything.

Any chance you could make it down to Chehalis this weekend? If so, I could take her to the swap meet and we could do it there.

If that won't work for you, maybe we could meet up at Value Village some time next week. I have a problem with my truck at the moment that is supposed to be fixed on Friday. If the repair is successful, I could make the trip north. If, for some reason, there is more wrong with my truck than we think there is, I would be uneasy hitting I-5 with it.

I also have two brand new Muscovy babies (hatched yesterday) if anyone nearby is interested. Their momma is not one of my better moms so I took them (they are in a crate in the house).

Does anyone know if moving a hen that is currently broody will make her "snap" out of it until she acclimates to her new home? Or, will she continue her broodiness from one home to the other? I've never moved a hen that is in the process of being broody before. I have no doubt that even if she does snap out of it, after she's adjusted to her new home, she will go back in.

If I remember right, I didn't sell that weekend. I did the following weekend, the weather sucked, hardly anybody showed up (sellers or buyers), and I didn't sell one single thing (I only took two Muscovy drakes and ten dozen eggs). :rolleyes:

Latest posts