sweet corn

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i planted ambrosia treated sweet corn 11 days or so ago ive been watering every other day or so i just recently seen yesterday that some is coming up some higher then others and most of it has not even come up yet we are having a drought here and its going to get worse and hotter is this normal for some to come and others not if i wait will the others come up? same with my green beanse

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I've found Ambrosia to be slow to germinate in droughty weather...mine aren't up either. Beans need some good moisture also to germinate quickly. What zone are you in? We need a good rain here also or we won't get good germination of even growth of the corn either. We have some moist clay soils but they harden on top to keep the shoots from breaking through the crust.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We haven't planted our corn yet here... nights are still too cold, often.

Just curious... Are you both in situations where you can't irrigate the corn patch in any way?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Not unless I want to deplete the well water...in a drought, I'd rather conserve our water than grow corn. Water we need, corn we can buy somewhere that they DO irrigate.

One thing I've noticed about watering a garden...once you start, you have to continue. The roots will develop shallow if you water at the surface and can't/don't soak deeply into the soils...then you have plants that can't mine for water that is deeper in the soil and will need that surface/shallow moisture throughout their life to produce. Unless one can irrigate with every single dry spell from a source that can thoroughly soak the soils, it can do more damage than good.

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i irragte like i said i just wanted to no thats its normal for some to sprout up before others? i am going to give the corn and beanse untile this friday to come up then im replanting they would be in the ground for 2 weeks this friday im in indiana its been 11 days and now things are starting to come up i just wondering if its normal to have some up and others not and will the others come up? i really just wanna no if the rest will come up or will i need to till her up friday and replant?

Today i posted the paragraph above last night i dug up the bean seeds they were rotted with mold on em i think its the seeds their junk i had trouble with the company in the past and i no people who have so i tilled up the bean beds today i dont no what i will plant their now i looked over the corn some more has come up but not alot more i also dug up a seed its sprouted with lil roots and yellow shoot at the end i think i will give the sweet corn until friday before i till it up and replant

John_henry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Glad to know I'm not the only one just getting their corn started. I don't know what your temps are but I guess if it's started germinating it must be above 65f, so that shouldn't be the problem. I've found it a little sporadic myself, and if you had problem with your seed it could be that. I went with an open pollinated variety (Early 'Double Standard' Bicolour) as it's a proper open pollinated seed it is widely adapted, and adaptable to future change in climate or soil, and it hasn't been bred to need lots of fertiliser and sprays. So, can do well in different soils, climates and variable weather. I've never grown 'ambrosia treated sweet corn', so don't have any idea to it's specifics, but if your having issues with it my suggestion would be to try a true open pollinated variety. Plus, if you selected and saved your seeds it would improve to your local area over the years, not to mention you wouldn't have to buy seed again.

Also, just an idea, but if you have problems with drought a technique I saw used in a very dry part of Argentina was to have a trench around the crop, as you would for irrigation. In theory I guess that this would get more water, deeper, around your corn, might not be much use if you've got clay though.

That's my two cents, excuse my ignorance if I'm missing something with the ambrosia treated corn.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We haven't had any trouble but we have regular rain. We CAN however irrigate if need be......