Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe Needed!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My dad did a sweet potato dish one year with apples and maple syrup - it was yummy. I don't have the recipe but I bet Google has a reasonable facsimile.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
@Mini Horses - "Beg" is overkill on my part...I meant "Ask" in the kindest possible way. I mainly said it because I've been asking for the past three years or so to try and get it? It's my husband's aunt who knows the recipe. It was passed to her from her grandmother (DH's great-grandma) and darn it is good. But she's so busy these days it's hard to get a chance to chat, so hoping when we gather for Christmas I can get it then :)

it has taken us about 10yrs to get one recipe from one side of the family (for baked spaghetti). finally we got it this past summer. made it. yep, it's still good. i'd tried once before but we didn't have it right and it didn't work so i was discouraged and didn't pursue it again until this year.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Momma learned from Grandma all her recipes (Grandma taught her how to cook). i can duplicate them and have helped make them since i was about 6yrs old, but they are also all written down. i'm half Italian - it is our base cuisine (Italian American is what i consider it).

i'm sure this can be a fun debate among the purists but the bake lasagna noodles are so much nicer. :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I don't like sweet potato mush and casserole recipes always seem to be mush. So I do mine a little different

Peel sweet potatoes, cut into strips, then into 1/2" cubes. Saute in hot oil, slightly brown the cubes.

Zest an orange, then peel the orange. Over a bowl (to catch the juice) section the orange, then squeeze the membranes to get the juice out.

1/2 cup pecans
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp mace
1/2 cup butter, melted

Combine the pecans, brown sugar and spices, add orange zest. Mix well with sweet potato cubes, then add melted butter, orange segments and juice. Spread in a pyrex baking dish and bake at 350* for 30 minutes covered with foil, then remove foil and bake another 20 minutes.

I don't put marshmallows on top, but you certainly can if you want to. You can add more brown sugar if you wish.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We usually do Candied Yam's for Thanksgiving, but this year I am bringing Sweet Potato Bake.

Grandma's Candied Yams
- Peel and boil desired amount of Sweet Potatoes. Cook until almost tender (they need to hold together when sliced). Cool completely and slice potatoes into about 3/8 to 1/2" thick rounds.
-In a shallow dish mix together 1 cup of flour, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, 1/4 tsp of salt and 1/8 tsp black pepper.
-In another shallow dish, beat 1 egg and 1/4 cup of milk.
Heat a heavy skillet and melt 1 tablespoon of butter.
Dip sweet potato rounds in egg/milk, then coat in the flour /brown sugar mix. Place in pan and fry until browned - turn over and brown the other side. Place on plate and keep warm. Fry all the potatoes, adding butter as necessary. This is very messy and putsy, but delicious!

I will post my Sweet Potato Bake recipe when I get home tonight. It does not have marshmallow on top and has received my fathers nod of approval. He is even allowing me to sub this for his mom's Candied Yams this year for Thanksgiving.:drool

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i always vote for simple. roasted sweet potatoes to get them mostly done, peel, slice, top with brown sugar, butter and if you must spices, but my preferences to leave them alone since i like the flavor of them as they are. topped with marshmallows and toasted is ok, but i'm in the fire camp (or camp fire i should say) when i generally just light marshmallows on fire. like a good BBQ it just doesn't seem right if there's not some black on there... :)

ok, um, what were you asking about? i've never had black pepper in sweet potatoes and i think most spices i've ever had with them were things like cinnamon. otherwise, you're stepping into sweet potatoe pie and custard like territory. which, since i adore punkin pie and sweet potato pie, i don't object to in the slightest. other than some visual indication that i'm actually eating a pie v.s. quiche or a savory...