Sweet Potatoes

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
As of today here in southern IL, Harris Teeter 4lb / $1.00, or $0.25 a pound, with VIC card. Less 5% senior discount on Thursday.

Food Lion $0.19lb with MVP card.

Looks like I will be buying several boxes from Food Lion this year.
A bit of caution here though, make sure they haven't been stored in the cooler. This will make them rot quicker, as sweet potatoes like to be above 55 degrees. Don't put them in an unheated barn/garage either. We are currently finishing up the last box from 2019, so they do keep if kept above 55 degrees.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got some from Food Lion. 3 stores had sold out! I wasn't heading to them for that but working at stores by them. Stopped to buy and none. Finally got 8 lb. I'll hit my local one early Thu morn. Only want another 15-20 lb. I plan to can most. Will only store dry if I know how handled. These were cold stored at some point, I'm sure...and washed. Both no nos...for dry storage, best results.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got a 40# box today. 😁 bought some ground beef on sale -- 93/7 @3.99 -- and 2 turkeys @$.29 #. Done. Like I have to put these turkeys in spare frig freezer :eek: 19 & 23 lbs. When cooked there will be many meals! Plus those will be shared with family.

I will make up some burgers, a couple 1# pkgs, vac seal and slide in some spot somewhere. Maybe even can some instead. Plan to can most of the sweets.

Helpless for a sale but.....prices were exceptional!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I couldn't find the deals you guys did on sweets - best price I saw was .50lb. So I skipped 'em. We don't eat a bunch of em anyway. Recently, I bought briskets when they were on sale and have ground them - better than ground beef sale prices and I get to control the amount of fat.

I grew sweets one year and had a beautiful harvest. But when I cut into them - every stinking one had wire worms in 'em. :( I've never even tried again...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You probably like them but, limited for diabetics.

You are exactly right. I do enjoy sweet potatoes but potatoes of any flavor are limited around here. It's ok though, I have one when I have a hankering - just don't keep 'em around all the time. Just buy a couple every now and then.