Sweet score yesterday

BrewCrew

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yesterday I was in my local super store and walking around the garden area. Looking at trees veggies etc. The wife and i just got a 20 acre piece of land and I am wanting to get some fruit trees out there ASAP. Problem is they are pretty pricey. Everyone is buying stuff since it is spring and the prices reflect the demand. However, as i walked around I came upon a forgotten display full of brown turkey figs and rabbit eye blueberries bushes. These are decent sized trees for the figs and solid trunks on the blueberries. they had been pushed aside for the large fruit tress going for 17-20+ each. These beauties were marked $10 each but the lady let me get them for $4 each. So I grabbed 6 Brown turkey figs and 6 blueberry bushes and the start of our orchard is well under way. Now we have a wonderful rain day watering the little guys well and letting them prep for going to he farm.

Added to the present collection of a Meyer lemon, a large brown turkey fig, a pear, an apple, satsuma, decent blackberry bush, and persimmon and we have a ready to eat buffet prepping for a great growing season. The lemon and satsuma are loaded with fruit already and the blackberry started to bloom today.

Brew

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your figs are fine but you might want to check on your blueberries They are often are not self pollenating and need another variety to provide the pollen to produce fruit .Pears are well known for this and usually are coplanted if fruit ia wabted {often planted bor the blooms and shade in lawns where the fruit just makes a mess) single apple trees could be either self- or not.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds like a great score for you!

Every year I try to plant some kind of edible landscaping, this past year it finally paid off. We had grapes, blackberries, raspberries and peaches for the first time. I always look for the bargain items or am patient enough to grow my own.

The peaches surprised me. I have one purchased tree that is probably 6 or 7 yrs old (can't remember what kind). I have gotten a total of 4 peaches from it...and they were the size of apricots, but sure were good. A late frost usually gets the blooms here so it's hit and miss on fruit trees. Anyway, by way of a friend, I got a small bag of small, decent peaches with instructions to plant the pits. She called them harvest peaches. Last year I got just as much fruit (that was just as good) as the peaches from the purchased tree - and the tree that I grew was only three or four years old!!

Right now I have seeds from gala apples stratifing in my frig. The last time I checked them, they had just sprouted. I'll get them planted in a big pot soon. If there are apples on those trees in the future, they might not be galas, but I'm sure someone will enjoy them.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
definite good score.

I love getting deals like that!!!

I put in 32 leyland cypress along my pasture fence.

cost was $5 per tree. Dad knows a guy. regular cost of that size is usually $12 per tree.

I scored also.

I tell trees can get pricey definitely. scores like that are a good thing :)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Brew, wrap your arms around yourself and pat yourself on the back with both hands!! What a deal!!

Here is my favorite fig recipe!

Strawberry Fig Preserves

6 cups mashed figs
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
3--(3) oz boxes strawberry jello
1 box sure jell

Boil figs, water and sugar 30 minutes. Add jello and sure jell. Boil 2 more minutes. Put in hot jars and seal.
I got 5 pints.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
baymule said:
Brew, wrap your arms around yourself and pat yourself on the back with both hands!! What a deal!!

Here is my favorite fig recipe!

Strawberry Fig Preserves

6 cups mashed figs
6 cups sugar
1 cup water
3--(3) oz boxes strawberry jello
1 box sure jell

Boil figs, water and sugar 30 minutes. Add jello and sure jell. Boil 2 more minutes. Put in hot jars and seal.
I got 5 pints.
That sounds really good! Not that I'll ever have the figs - :/
You should post this in a new thread in the kitchen/recipes area so we can find it again.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm assuming you live in region 10, or at least 9. I have 47 satsuma trees on my share of the orchard. Momma always claimed we only had to drive about 2 hours north before it was too cold for satsumas to grow. Thats how they used to market their fruit when it was their time....we gotta do things a bit differently now. Can't say I know what a turkey fig is. I mainly have Celestines, but I'm about to find out. Hope you know, its not too terribly hard to propagate figs.

nelson castro

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Your figs are fine but you might want to check on your blueberries They are often are not self pollinating and need another variety to provide the pollen to produce fruit .Pears are well known for this and usually are coplanted if fruit ia wabted {often planted bor the blooms and shade in lawns where the fruit just makes a mess) single apple trees could be either self- or not.
Couldn't agree more.. Especially on the blueberries part.

Latest posts