sweet taters, pumpkins and winter squash

GardenWeasel

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Calling all cooks. Need savory side dishes or main dish casserole recipes. No restrictions except not sweet. Help me out, I am out of ideas.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Slice veggies quite thin in a food processor or with a mandolin or a really great knife and a steady hand. Grease a pie plate or round cake pan (any pan will do, but it is pretty in the round pan). Steam the veggies until al dente and layer them in the pan, putting flavorings of your choice between every 2-3 layers. Use salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and herbs such as basil, oregano, thyme, whatever you like, or even hot pepper. A strong cheese also works well, both between the layers and on top. Top with fat such as bacon grease or butter and bake, covered, for 30 minutes, at 350F. Take of the cover to brown the cheese if you'd like, under the broiler is best or some of the veggies can get tough.

Use:

Sweet potatoes
Carrots
A beet or two, not too many unless you love them
Squash, zucchini, etc.
Rutabaga or turnips
Parsnip
The stems of brocolli, but not the tough part

Use any combination, whatever you have. As many different colors really makes it appealing. It is a great way to get beets into dh and I!

You can cut it into pie shaped wedges to serve, or turn it onto a plate for a pretty presentation if it is not topped with cheese.

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I like to make sweet potato fries - baked. You can peel them or not (taste better peeled, but sometimes I'm just too lazy ;)), and cut them into french fry size pieces - you don't want steak fry size, but not shoe string either - a good medium size fry. While slicing preheat oven to 375*. Toss fries - enough to comfortably fill one layer a cookie sheet - with a couple/three tablespoons olive oil. Put fries on said cookie sheet, sprinkle with salt, and bake for 20 minutes. Pull 'em out and turn the fries over as best you can, sprinkle with salt again, and bake for about another 20 minutes, or until fries are crisp but tender. Enjoy!

Might want to bake up a couple cookie sheets worth at the same time, as these things are what my dad called "gopher food" - once you taste it, you can't help but "go fer" more

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
bake the squash. dice it. toss it with feta and warm spices: nutmeg, cinnamon, turmeric.

another tasty one is to toss it with mixed nuts and vanilla (auntie just gave me that recipe).

you can halve it, empty the seeds, and stuff it with ground meat and onions and bake it. like a stuffed pepper only squashier.

puree it, add an equal amount each of broth and coconut milk. add red curry and any other meat/veggies you like.

dice it, dip it in batter, and fry it.

i could prolly think of tons more but i'm about to pass out for the night :D

eta... okay this IS a sweet one... but i usually don't add much sugar and it is this thick cheesy pumpkiny ooze. it's nom.

Sanghaya Falk Thong

Ingredients:

1 small fresh pumpkin
5 eggs
1/3 cup sugar (if you skip it, add a thickener, like agar flakes)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 cup cream of coconut

1 Cut a slice off the top of the pumpkin, remove the seeds and most of the soft pulp.
2 In a mixing bowl, light whisk the eggs, add the sugar, salt and cream of coconut and stir until well blended.
3 Pour the mixture into the pumpkin and steam (for approximately 20 minutes) until the custard is set.

when i made it, i added nutmeg :D

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
they do it with yams mostly :D i'd say anything that can hold it's shape well enough would work. it just needs cut thin enoughthat it cooks through while frying. i don't think they cook them first. it'd be mushy and you couldn't batter it LOL.