Swimming Holes

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Anyone have one?

We have a real nice steam/creek (kinda bigger than a creek but smaller than a true stream :lol:) running thru the farm.

Well momma took hubby and kiddo and dog to the old homestead this morning. cold out there but being in the trees was helpful.

Chimney finally fell off the top of the fireplace. ALOT of old metal farm equip. laying around...old cast iron sink and all that kind of thing. going to scrap sell most of it and use a few things. Nice brick there also for 'some project" I will devise.

Checked out hubbys tree stands. all seems fine. checked the horse barns and hay barn and equip etc. just to do a once over. getting negelected down there since we stopped farming and hubbys dad is so sick. 120 round bales in one horse barn. gotta sell them or something. UGH dismantling a farm is hard believe me.

down the scary rutted little road to the bottoms.

travelled all around the creek. FOUND A WONDERFUL waterfall and already kinda big swimming hole. Hubby said his Dad mentioned they tooks bath by the old bridge. Rock bridge. was there when his dad's parents homestead there. Might be civil war? big and really cool tho and I am going to metal detect the area along with just searching for clues on what it was?

The waterfall area ---told hubby we are gonna take back a chainsaw, cut a few key trees down, open up the area....drag over bricks to make small fireplace for grilling dogs and burgers....gotta drag out some big limbs over the water hole.....AND VOILA we will have a place to go into the woods, relax, play in the water and just 'be by no one or anything'.

So I found my summer project. Nicole wants to bring her friends to swim the hole and play in the waterfall. sounds good to me. a few brews, some burgers, sparkiling clean swimming, camping chairs and sunshine and hot weather we should have a blast!

if you have a swimming hole tell me about it? love to know what 'special' adaptions you might have added.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't have one, but would love to have yours!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
here about 1/4 mile down the road there is a creek. we go down there and wade and it is sand so there is a beach. there was an old covered bridge that had been shut off for 2 years. this past summer the county tore it down and built a new concrete bridge, no notice just came in one day with large equipment and it was gone.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have one in the creek near us, it changes a little in shape every year after the spring floods but we've been taking the girls and their friends there for years :)

My grandparents had one on their farm when my Mom was growing up that was the family summer hang-out. All the cousins would come for swimming parties and my Mom and her 3 sisters all learned to swim there. We love having one nearby that reminds me of the one on my grandparents farm--long ago sold now, but I did get to swim in it when I was little.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is a shame the old bridge is gone....kinda like once gone, never to come back. sad truly.

yea, the swimming hole charm has hit me. I didn't realize there was a good spot with a waterfall that could be worked on to make this swim hole. I can't wait to get it decked out and 'working' :)

I just hope the snakes are not that many in this area??? we have all the poisonious ones down here ugh

BarefootMom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I love swimming holes.

We have a few, but you have to drive a ways to get to some of them. One is in the Pomme de Terre River, hubby knows a back way to get there and it is always an adventure. We go camping down there sometimes too. Lots of fish and the water is perfectly shallow clear across the river for the kids and then a few feet out it drops and gets to be about 6-7 feet deep - great for us.

There is also the Honey Hole - great for fishing and swimming - has a natural spring running into it so the water is ALWAYS cool.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive got a spot on the property that i dont know is if it USED o be a swimming hole or just a run off zone but ne area is about 8-10ft deep and then tapers off on both sides as little run off streams ect...

Id love to develop it somehow and turn the deep area into a swimming hole, i just dont quite know how...ill have to get out there once the weather perks up a little and get some pics of the area, it could be beautiful!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
We had one nearby that many people used. Little sandy beach, crystal clear mountain stream, deep part with riffles above and below, big trout and suckers but not much else. A few harmless water snakes. You could see every rock on the bottom and the deepest part was about 9 feet. We had a blast there every summer, would take the dogs for bathing, picnics, etc. Most of the time we'd have it pretty much to ourselves but sometimes there would be quite a crowd.

Latest posts