Swine Flu???

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I posted this here because it's my family that I am worried about.

As most of you may or may not know Mexico is having a major Swine Flu Epidemic. They have cancelled all schools and public sporting events. More than 100 people have died and the poop is hitting the fan. Now because of spring break and the college students traveling to and fro. Swine flu has appeared in Ca., NY , Texas and a few other states. Also in other countries, New Zealand and a few others I can't remember. They say the people that have died did so because they waited to long to see a doctor.

I guess what was wondering is, Is anyone else worried? Would you go so far as to isolate yourself and your family if it gets too close? What would you do?

I live like two hours from the border. I know that many people travel back and forth daily. Do you think if it got really bad it would justify closing the border? Humm, I wonder.

Ok, I feel better thanks for listening, gina

farmerlor

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
On the one hand, the mortality rate for this flu is only very slightly higher than for regular flu so I'm not terribly alarmed. On the other hand the Spanish flu that killed so very many started out with a mild version and then mutated slightly to become a killer so there's always that possibility especially since we know that this flu has already mutated into it's present form to include flu dna from several sources. On the other hand there have been no deaths in the US yet so that's encouraging though I feel very bad for those people in other countries who are experiencing loss. On the other hand, I think if we start seeing cases in my state I'll probably get really picky about where we go and when to limit exposure.
Good thing I got four hands, huh?

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Beginning on page 3 post #30 you can find a good discussion about this flu in the Emergency Preparedness section under the title " Planning for Bird Flu/Swine Flu."

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Hi Gina,

I am about 20mins form the school in SD that was closed (Christ the Cornerstone). My DD was speaking with a friend today and he has all the symptoms, we urged him to get to the dR.

Dh and I went shopping yesterday and made sure we were stocked up on necessities in case it gets worse, I do not want to be out shopping. I think it is going to get a lot worse, I hope we do not reach the pandemic stage though.

You and I are pretty close to this and I anticipate our state will be hard hit. I am guessing that my kids schools will be shut down shortly.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
farmerlor said:
On the one hand, the mortality rate for this flu is only very slightly higher than for regular flu so I'm not terribly alarmed. On the other hand the Spanish flu that killed so very many started out with a mild version and then mutated slightly to become a killer so there's always that possibility especially since we know that this flu has already mutated into it's present form to include flu dna from several sources. On the other hand there have been no deaths in the US yet so that's encouraging though I feel very bad for those people in other countries who are experiencing loss. On the other hand, I think if we start seeing cases in my state I'll probably get really picky about where we go and when to limit exposure.
Good thing I got four hands, huh?
I think the big concern is that it could mutate quickly into something worse. As he flu spreads from person to person, it can mutate just as quickly.

I think that the lack of deaths is a false sense of security...we are being more proactive and that will prevent deaths for sure, but our numbers are no where near the number of sick in Mexico, as more people fall ill, the numbers of deaths will rise. I am also concerned that we seem to only be getting numbers out of Mexico city not the entire county.

Tallman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have heard from two news sources that this virus contains DNA from both the European Swine flu and the Asian Swine flu, and the Center for Disease Control can't figure out how these two virus' got together. One source said that the chances of this happening naturally is 1/10 of 1%.

It makes one wonder if this is a type of bio weapon.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I haven't heard that, but I AM going to stock up on vitamin D come pay day :p

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Tallman said:
I have heard from two news sources that this virus contains DNA from both the European Swine flu and the Asian Swine flu, and the Center for Disease Control can't figure out how these two virus' got together. One source said that the chances of this happening naturally is 1/10 of 1%.

It makes one wonder if this is a type of bio weapon.

Has anyone else heard anything about this?
Well considering how easily influenza mutates, I have heard that anything is possible, but I also have heard the bio terrorism possibility too.

Latest posts